Supplements In Raw Feeding?

Jaxx

The cat with thumbs
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

So I've been using a brand called Big country raw to feed my kitten with their pure formulas. I got into raw feeding from watching Pet meadow crew on Youtube, and she says that the only supplements she uses in her mix is Salmon oil and a couple eggs. I emailed Big country raw to ask about this, and they said as long as im feeding a variety of meats, supplementing with anything more than fish oil isn't necessary.

Has anyone else tried this? I dont want to do this and then he isn't getting a complete diet.

Thanks for any help!

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is the appropriate source of Taurine if it's not being added as a supplement? That would be my biggest concern.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the appropriate source of Taurine if it's not being added as a supplement? That would be my biggest concern.
I may be mistaken but I am almost sure PMC uses grind mixes as a supplement to feeding whole chunks of meat and meat/bone combos..or at least they used to. Those chunks would be rich in taurine, but it tends to dwindle if the meat is ground and/or stored.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jaxx

The cat with thumbs
Kitten
Purraise
Thats what I was thinking. I have a fairly large variety of different meats so I figure that he'd be getting enough of everything. I could still supplement with additional Taurine, but something about the other vitamins really turn him off from his food.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats what I was thinking. I have a fairly large variety of different meats so I figure that he'd be getting enough of everything. I could still supplement with additional Taurine, but something about the other vitamins really turn him off from his food.
Do you feed mostly grinds, or chunks, or a mixture?
I've been doing like what I've seen PMC do in the past, we feed a lot of chunks and stuff but we do a mixture of other stuff (ground bone/meat, organs, eggs, etc.) to make sure everyone gets what they need, and additional taurine (in grinds) is never a bad idea IME.
Heart is very high in taurine so if you can get your hands on poultry hearts or beef heart (most cats prefer poultry IME), this would be a good addition and it counts as a muscle meat, not an organ. Most cats LOVE them.
Even if you feed whole prey, adding taurine will not hurt and probably would be beneficial. Whatever they don't use, they just pee out so the worst that will happen is you'll be putting money into expensive urine =)

Jaxx

The cat with thumbs
Kitten
Purraise
I feed him Chicken, Duck, Rabbit, Kangaroo, Lamb and Turkey mixed with a couple eggs all spread out through the week, along with duck necks a few times as well. The brand I use also has a beef organ blend, which he'll eat but doesnt really seem to care for. All that is a grind, and then I feed him chunks of chicken as well. I dont mind adding the supplements or anything, but I cant get it out of my mind that sees getting too much of something, or not enough of another.
Lol, thats true about the Taurine. When I first started out I was adding it to every meal even though I knew he was probably okay XD

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed him Chicken, Duck, Rabbit, Kangaroo, Lamb and Turkey mixed with a couple eggs all spread out through the week, along with duck necks a few times as well. The brand I use also has a beef organ blend, which he'll eat but doesnt really seem to care for. All that is a grind, and then I feed him chunks of chicken as well. I dont mind adding the supplements or anything, but I cant get it out of my mind that sees getting too much of something, or not enough of another.
Lol, thats true about the Taurine. When I first started out I was adding it to every meal even though I knew he was probably okay XD
\Message from 1 Bruce 1 Purrkids:
Jaxx Jaxx ,
Hello good purrson. We would like to come live with you, as we have no access to 'Roo. They sometimes feed us Bison. BISON. That's a dog food. Its like feeding a burger to a cat. So very unfeline...don't get us started on the elk stuff.
We get rabbit..sometimes. But we're told it's an expensive food and it's limited. "A special treat". Is this any way to treat a cat?????
Please prepare your mailbox. You will be overwhelmed with adorableness when we arrive. We will tumble out, be adorable for 10 seconds, then descend on your kitchen like locusts.
Please have the rabbit and 'roo on the table, ready for consumption.
Signed,
Bruce's Cats.

(AKA...you're doin' fine.)
=D

Jaxx

The cat with thumbs
Kitten
Purraise
Lol, honestly I was nervous to give him Rabbit and Kangaroo. Its just about thirty dollars for four pounds in Toronto. Im sure I cried a bit when he actually enjoyed it XD