Sudden Change In Behaviour

Mystiquevalor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used to be able to brag about how well behaved my feline friend was.

Was moved in May of this year and everything changed.

She jumps on the counter to steal food off a cutting board/plate/anything that possibly holds food.

She now attempts to rummage through the garbage (it has a lid and everything but she not pops it open and dives right in). Can’t even leave a dish in the sink with soapy water to soak it because she will climb into the sink and drink the water. The food on the counter is never unattended for her to get all. But all I have to do is turn around and she’s jumped up there.

And she will NOT. STOP. MEOWING. EVER.

I am literally going insane with all the meowing. She just sits there an meows and meows and meows for no reason. She has plentiful toys, 3 cat trees and her litter is cleaned everyday. She is not deprived of attention by any means. She cries all day, all night, to come in a room just to immediately cry to get out.

Before we moved there was another cat at the house with her, and the did NOT get along (literally breaking up cat fights). When we moved she seemed happy and free and was fine.

We have now lived in our current home for 7 months and she is suddenly a nightmare cat.

While I’m thankful that she is at least not an aggressive cat, I cannot take very much more of her waking me up or keeping me with the crying.

I’ve tried ignoring it and not losing it on her to just be quiet for 3 seconds so I can think but that doesn’t seem to be working

Help. Me. Please.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Does she eat all her cat food? Has there been any change in what you've been feeding her? Has her weight remained stable? How old is she? When was her last vet check-up?

A health problem like hyperthyroidism could cause an appetite change and excessive meowing, so the first thing to do is to make sure she's healthy before assuming this is just a behavioral change.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mystiquevalor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She eats all of her food as usual and she has always had the same food due to dietary issues. She is 5 years old and has always maintained the same weight. She was at the vet last month and everything was fine. I had considered her health before assuming her behaviour.

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What can she see outside? Or hear? Something has changed, maybe that you aren't even aware of. Did the vet check her teeth? I had a female cat that did constant meowing and we finally found out she had a deep tooth infection. The final clue was the smell of her breath.
How long is she alone during the day? How is her vision and her hearing? Will she stop meowing to play? Or watch cat videos? What is her body language like?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mystiquevalor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They did check her teeth and they said they look great right now. Her vision and hearing seem to be ok she reacts to everything and can certainly hear me (the whole the ears are listening but I’m not going to look at you)

She stops when she gets food.
But it’s weird.
I cannot be to lenient with her diet because she has such a sensitive tummy. But if I try to feed her the most I can, she will gobble it down at first but after a few feedings she can’t eat all of it. So I think she’s hungry but when she won’t eat all of it after a few feedings I thought well maybe she’s not hungry and wants something else

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe she does want something else. That would explain the food related misbehavior too. Does she have indoor grass? Cats like that they think it settles their tummies.