Sudden Change in Behavior

kobster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm worried about my cat, Tyler. He is a five year old neutered male tabby cat I've had since he was born. He is indoor only, on flea prevention, current on vaccines, etc. He eats Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken dry cat food. He lives with four other cats and a dog. There have been no major environmental changes in the home.

All of a sudden, Tyler is just RAVENOUS all the time. He acts like he is starving to death, begging for food constantly. He jumps on counters, tears open bags of bread, and even begs for food from other people in my house (when before he was fairly aloof and really would only come to me.) He has always been vocal around dinner time, but he seems to be vocalizing much more often. He is also much more active. He seems to be just FRANTIC about something. He doesn't seem painful, he is eliminating normally in the litterbox. His hair coat is normal for him, he doesn;t seem to be losing weight, but it's hard to tell, he's always been a slender cat. He has vomited two or three times this past week, but again, he is known to vomit from time to time. This all started with him about 8 days ago. I have no idea whats causing it. Should I be take him to the vet? Could it be a thyroid problem in such a young cat? I just don't know what to do, I feel like he is desperately trying to tell me something and I don'tknow what it is.

Anyone been through something similar?

Thanks!
-Rachael and the Thundering Hoard

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rachel, it would be a good idea to take him to the vet and have him completely evaluated. He is trying to tell you something with this change of behavior and it is probably the message that he just doesn't feel good. Cats very rarely show their pain, they are low on the food chain and they know that showing weakness could mean the end of them, so they act out in other ways.

Please let us know what the vet says after the visit and good luck!