Sudden Behavioral Changes

yemiya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the past (but not for several months), my cat has had some short episodes of what some would probably call the "zoomies." Yesterday and more so today, he seems to be having similar episodes, but of much longer duration. It's now 8:15 p.m. & he hasn't eaten since about 6 a.m., and not very much at that time and last night. His appetite has lessened in past few days, and he's been sleeping inside more than in the past (indoor/outdoor). He was treated at vet 2 weeks ago for URI & small wound & given Coventa injection due to difficulty administering antibiotic in any other way. This behavior, especially the duration--now about 3 hours (not sure since he's outside) is very concerning. I followed him around the yard to the various places he ran to & hid, in fear. He was not connecting with me, although he had shortly before episode began. He never leaves yard at night & I have no idea where he is at the moment--probably hiding somewhere at property next door. I Any similar experiences or insight? Thanks!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If you can find him, I would definitely keep him inside until you can get him checked by the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It seems there has been increased activity/discussion from members about Covenia - mostly having to do with side effects and the appearance that the drug lasts a lot longer in the system than the purported 2 weeks. Hyperactivity, as well as a lack of appetite seem to be a couple of the possible side effects, among many others although they are supposedly rarely seen.

I agree that once you find your cat, keep him indoors for now and see if the changes you have seen start to dissipate. You can talk to the vet about what is going on, but if it were to be a side effect from Covenia, it is a matter of waiting for the med to clear out of his system.

I hope you find him very soon!