Successful transition to raw!! Couple ?'s re: commercial food

leapoffaith03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, Sam has successfully transitioned from all wet to raw in a few days!. Being a 12 yr old stubborn, picky boy I consider this quite the accomplishment. :nod:

I have a couple questions re: commercial raw brands, which is what I've chosen to stick with as I don't trust myself (or honestly have the patience) to make his food myself. He has tried all 3 flavors of Rad Cat and LOVES the chicken, just kinda likes the turkey, and hated the lamb (even yakked up a little). Then I tried the Stella and Chewys Rabbit morsels that supposedly "thaw in seconds".. Yeah.... No. LOL Damn things were hard then turned kinda pasty and had NO juice to it at all. I couldn't blame him for not touching it at all. Anyone had experience with the Stella and chewys and did it eventually get a little runnier as it's left out? I don't wanna leave it out too long either. It appears Sam likes the goopy stuff. :) My main question is re: Felines Pride- anyone have experience with this brand? Is it the same consistency pretty much as Rad Cat? They have quite the selection of flavors which I need as Sam tends to get used sick of one protein constantly. Also, how horrible is the shipping? I don't mind paying a bit, depending on what it is.

Sam has a history of pancreatitis (one bout last summer) and IBD and just general digestive inflammation flare ups. Horrible food allergies that have caused him to lick himself bald in spots that I've never been able to pinpoint no matter how many LID novel proteins I try. I ordered him some digestive enzymes that should be here tomorrow and he's also on a probiotic. Hoping raw will finally help all his issues at least calm down a bit. He seems much more alert and comfortable since starting raw. So excited! :D I've been a lurker for quite some time here and you guys have helped me more than anyone is aware, so thank you. :wavey:

If anyone has any info on Felines Pride, that'd be great. :)

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is amazing for a 12 year old to transition so quickly. This boy obviously hasn't forgotten that he is a carnivore! I don't have any experience with Feline's Pride, but wanted to offer a few suggestions on your other comments. Regarding the RadCat lamb, how did you serve it? Lamb is pretty rich and some cats need to be introduced to it slowly, and some can only have red meat as a part of the meal. If you want to try to keep lamb in the rotation, it may be worth trying again, but slowly and in small doses.

The Stella & Chewy's is dry. I found it better mixed with some water and mushed up.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with Feline's Pride. I started Ritz off with Primal, which she loved. Nature's Variety has a weird consistency, and Ritz didn't like it much. She did like RadCat. She is now on prey model raw/frankenprey. I recently gave her some RadCat (lamb I blieve) and she threw it up. So like vBall91 said, maybe mix RadCat with another protein.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this isn't advice that you asked for, but to expand the "flavors" you could buy other meats and simply cut them up and add Alnutrin with calcium and water.  All you'll need is a good scale and measuring spoons/cups.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leapoffaith03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone! I did try the lamb all sorts of ways/combinations, and he just couldn't keep it down and didn't seem interested. Stella and Chewys rabbit isn't going over so hot at the moment either, even after adding some water. I may try that again down the road. Rad Cat for us for now.

Where do you guys get Primal? I wanna say that's the one I checked out online and couldn't find a supplier in my area.

leapoffaith03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this isn't advice that you asked for, but to expand the "flavors" you could buy other meats and simply cut them up and add Alnutrin with calcium and water.  All you'll need is a good scale and measuring spoons/cups.

Good idea! I may try that down the line here as he gets used to eating raw. I'm always afraid I'm gonna mess something up for him.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good idea! I may try that down the line here as he gets used to eating raw. I'm always afraid I'm gonna mess something up for him.
That's the beauty of premixes, they figure it out for you.  All you do is weigh cut-up meat, then add appropriate amount of premix and water.  I forgot to mention liver.  But the premix will tell you how much to add.  That's it.  Some of the premixes have liver already added.  My cats went nuts for those.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone! I did try the lamb all sorts of ways/combinations, and he just couldn't keep it down and didn't seem interested. Stella and Chewys rabbit isn't going over so hot at the moment either, even after adding some water. I may try that again down the road. Rad Cat for us for now.

Where do you guys get Primal? I wanna say that's the one I checked out online and couldn't find a supplier in my area.
I buy Primal at a local store... if you have independent local pet food stores, it's worth asking if they'll order for you. Most of the stores in my area (Portland, Maine) are willing to order pretty much anything I'd ever want to try -- they offer all the time! I feed our cats a lot of Primal, mostly turkey with some beef/salmon (frozen and freeze-dried for both) mixed in, and they love it -- these cats demand variety so I mix up a batch every few days, varying the proportions and adding extra water because my cats, like Sam, prefer goopy. They also love Rad Cat, particularly turkey. They're young but they're Siamese mixes with tender little stomachs so I have to be really careful with the food.

I hope the raw food helps Sam! And that he keeps enjoying it.

leapoffaith03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Lisa, I'm definitely going to ask the pet market if they can order in some Primal. Does Primal sell online as well? If I recall, I didn't think they do.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Lisa, I'm definitely going to ask the pet market if they can order in some Primal. Does Primal sell online as well? If I recall, I didn't think they do.
I don't think they do sell online, though I seem to recall that some pet food sites (and, of course, Amazon!) sell it, if only the freeze-dried. Our local stores have been so incredibly helpful with food (and other) advice for these cats and our previous cat, who had IBD, that I'm more than happy to support them even when their prices are a little higher. Plus I don't have to worry about thawing in transit!

I hope Sam likes Primal! Good luck!