Stray cat causing trouble

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My parents live on a farm, and growing up we had barn cats. Eventually it got to the point that they only had one male cat, but over a couple of years other cats moved in and now they have a small colony they are caring for. Some are tame so they were easy to get vaccinated and spayed/neutered, others are more wild so I helped my mom trap them to get them to the vet as she didn't want exponential litters of kittens. We managed to catch them all and get them fixed, with the exception of one male who recently moved in and is exceptionally wild. We're still trying but it's difficult. That particular cat is very docile, though, and mostly keeps to himself though he's fine with the other cats.

Anyway, there is another male cat who has arrived on the scene. We aren't sure if he was dumped (as we suspect the other cats were) or if he is a wandering cat from another farm. There are no unspayed females around for him to be interested in, but of course there is food available. The problem with him is that he is aggressive. He's constantly picking on the other cats, and we think he's gotten into fights with their original male cat to the point that he has had to go to the vet a couple of times to have the wounds cleaned and dressed. He's my favorite cat of theirs, so I'm very unhappy with the idea that he is being targeted and injured.

Since it's kind of a free for all, I'm not sure if there is anything that can be done, but you all know more about cats and feral colonies than I do so I was hoping someone would have advice. We could try to catch him and get him fixed, but he's even more feral than the other cat we've been trying to catch so I'm not super optimistic. And maybe that wouldn't matter anyway. Thoughts?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do your parents free-feed the barn cats? We've had troublemakers show up before and the only way to successfully drive them away is to switch to timed feedings and stick around until all the cats are done eating and not allow the bully to join in, then pick up any and all leftovers. If there is dry food stored in the barn, make sure it's in a sealed container that he can't access.
Edit: This also works for raccoons, opossoms, etc. that move in!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Yes, they are free fed for the most part; I think my mom picks the dishes up at night to deter scavengers and there's not a whole lot left over after feeding times when the other cats are done, but there's clearly enough that he is still getting something. I'll suggest that solution and see how well it works.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd still try trapping both of these cats. Two separate traps. It is highly likely the hormones are the issue since it is only these two intact cats that end up in fights. Maybe the 'bully' will be easier to trap, and if /when TNR'd that might resolve the conflict after his hormones have dissipated.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen huge toms completely ignore neutered boys, while stalking and fighting with other toms. It is definitely hormonal and instinctive to drive off any unneutered males. If the tom gets hungry enough he may be trapped easier. To get selective cats I tie a LONG lightweight cord to a 1/2 gallon milk jug half full of water that is propping the door up and snake it to a hidden spot I can watch from. Leave this set up in place for a week to get them used to going inside the trap to eat. Make sure you tie the trap open and UNTIE it the day of the trapping. I did that and it is embarassing to yank the string and nothing happens! If you just can't catch any of the toms at all, taking up the food will make the stranger leave for better pastures. I have toms visit here from time to time, my only male is neutered and they ignore him. it is the matriarch mama that attacks and chases them off! I think they are just making sure none of my females are coming into heat. All the luck!

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! They only have two unneutered males right now, and this particular tom seems to be picking fights with only the other fixed cats. We used a similar method to catch the other cats, and they're really close to being able to catch the more timid tom and get him taken care of. Maybe that will help some.

There are a few places he likes to hide pretty regularly, so I may try to brainstorm a way to set a trap in those places that he can enter unsuspectingly.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks! They only have two unneutered males right now, and this particular tom seems to be picking fights with only the other fixed cats. We used a similar method to catch the other cats, and they're really close to being able to catch the more timid tom and get him taken care of. Maybe that will help some.

There are a few places he likes to hide pretty regularly, so I may try to brainstorm a way to set a trap in those places that he can enter unsuspectingly.
Where does he like to hide?
We've trapped very feral cats in hiding spots before, but it can take days and a lot of patience. The key is making sure he's not allowed to dart in and grab food from the others and try to keep the more tame cats from voluntarily being trapped in order to get a bite of whatever you offer him in said trap. :)
You could fashion a hiding spot around his preferred spot with bales of straw if you have them available.
For a few cats who were just too smart to enter the trap, we placed old chicken wire around it flat on the ground, so they were able to walk on something wire without anything happening. They seemed less suspicious of the feel of the trap on their paws and it was easier to trap them this way. 98% of them were neutered and lived peacefully among the others. A few of them were neutered and never settled down and eventually moved on elsewhere.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He likes to hide under the porch of my mom's "she shed." We could put a trap in the entrance and it would be pretty concealed, but we'd probably have to pry the lattice off to get it in and out, so maybe not that easy.

I like the idea of making a hiding place next to that one that he might go into. I'll also have to see if there is anywhere else he likes to hang out.

We were able to catch the other cats by feeding them inside a large dog kennel for a few days, then one day we waited and pulled the door closed with a string. The more wary cats would follow the friendlier ones in, then we'd just pull the friendly ones who had already been taken care of out. We can probably do something similar with the more docile male, but it's less likely with this guy since he's a lot more wild and won't follow the friendlier cats in, nor should he be trapped in there with them for any amount of time, lol.

I'm headed out to their house this weekend, so we'll have to do some brainstorming.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He likes to hide under the porch of my mom's "she shed." We could put a trap in the entrance and it would be pretty concealed, but we'd probably have to pry the lattice off to get it in and out, so maybe not that easy.

I like the idea of making a hiding place next to that one that he might go into. I'll also have to see if there is anywhere else he likes to hang out.

We were able to catch the other cats by feeding them inside a large dog kennel for a few days, then one day we waited and pulled the door closed with a string. The more wary cats would follow the friendlier ones in, then we'd just pull the friendly ones who had already been taken care of out. We can probably do something similar with the more docile male, but it's less likely with this guy since he's a lot more wild and won't follow the friendlier cats in, nor should he be trapped in there with them for any amount of time, lol.

I'm headed out to their house this weekend, so we'll have to do some brainstorming.
Check the lattice. Most of it is hammered in with wire nails into the frame, and it might not be as difficult to remove and replace as you think. Speaking from experience here. ;)