"Stray Behaviors" - Constantly Scavaging/Stealing Food....

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anybody have a former stray (shelter adoption) that thinks they STILL live on the street and is constantly looking for food?  My kitty Dexter is 1.5 years old, very healthy - but acts as if we never feed him!  Don't know his story, but I adopted him at 1 year - Humane Society had taken him in as a stray.  He was slightly underweight when he was picked up, but not much.

Not only does he wolf his food down fast - as if he was worried it would be stolen - he's constantly on the lookout for ANYTHING: my other cat's food, the garbage, my food if I turn my back, the scraps headed for compost, bowls of nuts, butter....anything on the counter is fair game.  I caught him eating pecans one day.  PECANS!

His body seems to "register" his food appropriately - the more he eats, the more he weighs.  I think its more behavioral - he must have learned that constant scavenging and hunting was the way to survive.  Its probably why he survived so well.

I wonder if he'll ever outgrow it and learn that I will ALWAYS feed him 2x a day!  He gets home made raw - plus the canned he manages to steal from the other kitty when we get distracted from supervising.  He's probably 1/2 lb overweight...not much but he doesn't need to gain another ounce.

The range of food this cat will try to eat astounds me.  More like a dog!

So - do you think I am right on why he does this?   Anybody think he'll outgrow it?

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
See my post Unruly Kitty. I think we are both going through the same thing. I am posting an update to it in a few minutes.my kitten John Jacob eats like a crazy wild savage