Stomatitis?

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the new post, this is related to my other one about my Holland losing a tooth. She had her checkup this evening and she would barely even let the vet and her assistant to look at her mouth. I got enough of a look to know that her gums are red, swollen, and there was a little bleeding.

Vet told me she has stomatitis, and that it is hereditary. Holland is not even two years old yet, so I guess the hereditary thing makes sense. I got her scheduled for a dental procedure in two weeks, the vet told me they will likely have to remove teeth (not the fangs) but she will still be able to groom and eat dry food. If they don't remove teeth, it's possible that I've got years of gingivitis ahead of me.

Besides the fact that I really can't afford this right now, I am freaking out about having her sedated and going into surgery. She's such a little girl (tipped the scales at 6 pounds at her appt today). But I just want her to feel better. The vet has payment plans available, and I am willing to do what I need to do, I was just wondering if any of you have dealt with stomatitis with your cats. Have you had teeth removed? Did it help? Any advice/experience would really help me deal with this.

They gave her an antibiotic shot and gave me three doses of oral painkiller that is supposed to last for a week and a half, so I'm hoping at the very least she won't be in too much pain until I can get her mouth fixed. She's still eating and drinking, even after I brought her home tonight, so I know she's not starving or dehydrated. The whole vet visit today was just so traumatic for her, I hate to have to put her through more, even if I know it will be better in the long run...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had several cats teeth removed due to stomatitis. IMO, you cannnot stop it, but only slow it down. And in my cat's case, it is genetic & they're all related.

tiffyrn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My dear Melvin who passed on a couple of years ago had chronic teeth issues from bad tartar that the vet thought was genetic. He had several teeth out over the course of his lifetime. He did fine with it, and ate dry food successfully.

At one point he had a fang out and it made him catch his lip on that side by the remaining fang. After it happened, he had a chronic (though tiny) chronically irritated spot there.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I've had several cats teeth removed due to stomatitis. IMO, you cannnot stop it, but only slow it down. And in my cat's case, it is genetic & they're all related.

I am dealing with the same thing right now, but my cat's mouth is so bad that he can not have his extractions for a while. Extractions will greatly help, but will not cure - as of today there is no cure for stomatitis - you should discuss with your vet a treatment with an immune suppressant, anti-inflammatory, and possibly an anti-biotic - these are all long term, especially the immune suppressant. Treated, your cat should go into remission, all the way to pink gums, but untreated he can start having problems again... Lots of people are working towards a cure.
This is an immune disease, and yes, it is hereditary...
Just curious, does your cat have lose stools? I was discussing this with my dentist, and he said that it is very common for cats with stomatitis to have IBD/IBS, which is the case of my cat as well.
His medication now also addresses this issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, she doesn't have loose stools. She doesn't seem to have any bowel problems at all. Maybe it's good that we caught it so early? I can say she's had bad breath since I adopted her, but I never thought too much of it. She's my first cat, so everything is a learning experience for me...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

No, she doesn't have loose stools. She doesn't seem to have any bowel problems at all. Maybe it's good that we caught it so early? I can say she's had bad breath since I adopted her, but I never thought too much of it. She's my first cat, so everything is a learning experience for me...
It is VERY good that you caught it so early - stomatitis is a serious and painful disease - the earlier you catch the better. I was not as lucky...