Stepped on Cat's Paws :(

gomie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The other morning as I was walking downstairs, my 1 year old cat Zsa Zsa was crowding my feet as usual. I accidentally stepped on her paw with my full weight. In an attempt to get off of that paw, I jumped onto my other foot, which happened to coincide with Zsa Zsa running in that direction at that very same moment, so I stepped on her OTHER paw as well! I feel sooooooo terrible.

She was still super sweet right afterward, so she still trusts me. She doesn't limp, but she hasn't been running around like crazy or climbing her cat tree like she always does. She's our climber and is always getting into mischief, but since the incident, she's been mellow and cuddly. I can't tell if I'm imagining this or not, but I swear it looks like she's not putting her full weight on one of her feet.

This may be an instance of my guilt and anxiety getting to me, but I'm taking her to the vet after work today to get her paws checked out. I'll let you know how it goes! *fingers crossed*

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Okay, so you did not try to do this to Zsa Zsa and you are doing the right thing to get her paws checked out. She understands it was not intentional. She may feel some discomfort in her paw, but extreme pain would be obvious in others ways. Keep us posted.

SundaesPerson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww, poor sweetie. I'm sure she'll end up fine, but it's good that you're getting her checked out. Accidents happen and cats are pretty quick to rebound. I once accidentally closed the bathroom door on my boy's paw because I couldn't see that it was in the hinge.

One very loud scream later, he was OK after I gave him some extra cuddles and apologized like mad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gomie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your support! I took her to the vet a couple of days ago. The vet checked her out and said that she didn't think x-rays were necessary and that Zsa Zsa probably just had some bruising. She got a 3-day pain med prescription. She's already improving! Back to her naughty self. She also got her rabies booster and FVRCP shots, so it was a productive vet visit. :)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your support! I took her to the vet a couple of days ago. The vet checked her out and said that she didn't think x-rays were necessary and that Zsa Zsa probably just had some bruising. She got a 3-day pain med prescription. She's already improving! Back to her naughty self. She also got her rabies booster and FVRCP shots, so it was a productive vet visit. :)
Glad to hear she is doing well!

I accidentally shut one of my cat's (now deceased cat, unrelated reason, this was years ago now!) paws in a door when he was a kitten, vet didn't x-ray because even if it was a minor fracture (and the toe did not look out of alignment or anything major) the treatment would be the same as for bruising - rest and an anti-inflammatory pain med for a few days. He healed up just fine and I know your Zsa Zsa will too.
They also don't bear a grudge over small accidental things like that, they don't seem to learn from them either though and still get underfoot all the time :rolleyes: