Static Kitten

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I need some help. Emmett is super static with the dry air during the winter. Any tips on what I can do to help him from sparking. I rub him with a dryer sheet, but I don't know if that is unhealthy for him.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 3 humidifiers that I use in the winter months and it does help a lot. I put them in the rooms that we most frequent - the kitchen, the living room and the bedroom.

I've heard about using static sheets on cats but have never tried them. I think if you touch something else before touching your cat (to release the electric shock), that will help also.

Poor Emmers!

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meish has also been quite charged since the snow has come. I feel horrible when I pet her then she will sniff my finger and ZAP!! She actually swatted my hand and tried to bite me last time!! I would also love to hear others opinions on what we could do to fix this!!

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Creepyowl

I need some help. Emmett is super static with the dry air during the winter. Any tips on what I can do to help him from sparking. I rub him with a dryer sheet, but I don't know if that is unhealthy for him.
LOL... my Emmet is too....as is mabby...and Doofus.....

And they all look to me as if its my fault

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sierra has not had excess static electricity, but my hair sure has been, so I don't know if this will work for sure with kitties. My Mom has been a hairdresser since long before I was every thought of, and her clients have always observed this in their own hair every winter. She has always advised to wet your comb or brush a bit with water and comb or brush through your hair, and it has always worked like a charm. Wonder if it would help to wet our kitties' brush a bit and brush them well?
Certainly couldn't hurt to try! I'm really curious to know if this works!