Starting to wonder if I have made a mistake (new cat introductions)

1plus2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am hoping that you all can help me!

I have recently (5/14) adopted two non-related young cats (approx, 6-7 months old, both female: Izzy and Lena) as -- hopefully -- companions for my senior girl (14 years old; Frannie). Everyone is separated at the moment, and I am having some challenges with introducing the two littles to each other, which I think is a necessary first step before introducing them to Frannie.

I have one urgent issue, and a future concern as well.

The urgent issue is with the two young cats. They came home 5/14 and were kept in separate spaces for the first 10 days or so, as Lena had a URI. However, I did work on having them eat their meals on either side of the door separating them. As the URI cleared up, they began to eat with the door open a crack, and for the past 6-7 days, they have been eating in the same room with no issues. I added joint playtime, with them separated by a see-through barrier, last Friday. They have been successful in playing for 15 minute segments 2-3 times a day, in addition to their two mealtimes. They have also had some successful unseparated playtimes, but they cannot occupy the same space without me playing with Izzy, as she will almost immediately attack Lena (hissing, swatting, growling). The aggression is always from Izzy towards Lena. Tonight I let it go on a little longer and it did not seem like it resolved anything between them.

How do I transition from supervised play to cohabitation? I assumed it would be easier to introduce the littles to the resident cat if the littles were in one space.

The future concern is that introducing Frannie (my senior girl) will be a whole other set of issues. She has been smelling the new arrivals for three weeks and still hisses at the towels I am using for scent swapping. Today I did a room swap with her and one of the littles and Frannie hissed the whole time.

Overall I am starting to feel very discouraged and like I have made a wrong choice for my current cat as well as for these two otherwise very lovely kittens.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You haven't even had these cats for a month! Although they are young, some cats tend to acclimate better/faster than others. You also don't know anything about their short backgrounds do you? Whatever environment they were in before could be impacting their behavior right now. Is Lena cowering away from Izzy because of these attacks? How is she responding? Is she receptive to seeing Izzy? I would keep up what you are doing, and give it some more time, especially if :Lena doesn't seem all that phased by Izzy's antics. Maybe a video posted on here to let other members see the interaction would help?

Until you get a better feel for the situation between these two cats, leave Frannie out of the picture. Starting a tiny bit of introduction without having gotten the other two into a better place is probably just frustrating Frannie. Not only that, but your anxiety in how things are going with these two kittens is probably being picked up on by Frannie, making her all the more anxious herself.

Hopefully, other members will come along soon and offer their input!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1plus2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, FeebysOwner. I don't know anything about the littles' backgrounds, except that Lena must have been someone's pet, as she had a very worn collar at the shelter. They are both quite friendly and cuddly, and know what the litterbox is for, so I don't think that they were street or feral cats.

I am probably less patient than I should be; when I first brought Frannie home (many years ago!) she and the resident cat at the time got acquainted very quickly. Having read through some more threads and articles on the site, I am going to take things back a step to barrier-separated play sessions in the same large space for another week or so to help them feel more comfortable in the general vicinity of the other cat, as well as continuing their room-swapping and communal eating.

Frannie is setting her own pace to meet the littles, which does include some (long-distance) viewing. She is calmly observant of them as long as they are a good distance away, and she is always free to move away from them if she is uncomfortable. For instance, this morning the littles ate breakfast side by side, and Frannie sat about 10 feet away down the hallway as they ate and the one went back to her separate space. That seemed like a positive interaction to me.

I will keep the video idea in mind -- it's just that they are both so fast, and Lena's preferred response is to run under the bed, and I'm not that good a cameraperson!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, maybe Izzy's background is a bit more complicated than Lena's. After all, it is Izzy that is the aggressor in this situation. You didn't say whether or not Lena is pretty OK after she runs from Izzy and is willing to hang around her later. But, I am guessing she is, so it is probably just going to take some more time.

Frannie sounds like she will get there with these two kittens eventually. She is observing and assessing them - from afar - and that is OK at this point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1plus2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I think Izzy does have a bit more settling in to do. She is much less interested in exploring the house than Lena, for example. I do think Lena currently has a negative impression of Izzy; she is now more reluctant to play in the joint play sessions, so I will keep working with her until she gets back to her more playful state.d