Started them on raw yest.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all.

So I started my 3 on their journey to raw yesterday. They are getting the Darwins chicken meals as a start. It actually went well. Mixed a bit in their canned food and also put a small glob to the side. Boots ate it all, even the glob,
Baby ate most and 1/2 the glob, Frosty (the youngest) ate some, would not touch the glob. Boots then went to every one elses plate looking for more.
Baby even ate some raw chicken in finely cut up strips. I was pretty happy. By the end of the day though I gave Frosty just his usual canned to make sure he ate enough for the day. Also at the last meal, just as a test, Boots was offered just the raw. He inhaled it! Same this morning.
This time though, Frosty also ate everything, even his glob on the side. Baby, meh, she's my pickey eater and totally left her glob and only ate 1/2 her mix, even with topping's.

Here's my question and it's in regards to Boot's. Is it ok for him to go totally, right from the get go, to this raw? He seems fine with it, but I know his body needs to adjust. Should I still give him some canned to make it easier on his tummy even if he isn't having issues yet? I don't want him to develop any either. All the reading I have done says, if they like raw, give them raw.

All in all, atm, I'm pretty optimistic that the other 2 will transition ok.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:wow: How exciting! :clap: :clap: :clap: That's pretty amazing! :D

FYI, a number of mine seemed to love it at first - but once it was no longer novel, they got picky. :rolleyes: That doesn't mean that will happen... but knock wood. ;)

Well, for the kitties that liked raw, even at the beginning I introduced it 25% of meals, then 50% of meals, then 75% of meals, then 100%. They only had a few days, really, to "adjust" to it. But if they didn't have diarrhea or vomit, I just kept going. Once on 100% raw, I used that as a base to introduce new proteins. But once we got to 100%, they didn't seem to love it the way they did. (I did the same thing; mix a little in with canned food, put a blob on the side. Most of them ate the blob FIRST at first. :lol3: ).

I did find out that mine got bored pretty quickly with the same protein, so that method didn't always work. We usually got up to 50%, and I had to introduce a new protein. :lol3: I also found out they were sensitive to the temperature of the food. At first they liked it best if it was room temperature; now they prefer it cold.

And yes, their bodies go through a lot of changes. In retrospect (my cats that ranged in age from four years to nine years old when we transitioned), I can see that it took their bodies 3 - 6 months to FULLY, completely adjust to raw.

But if Boots loves it, and he's having no apparent adjustment issues... if he likes raw, feed him raw. Just know there's no harm in back-tracking to some canned (or all canned) if needed. I had to "start over" with a couple of my kitties. (Though each time, the amount of time it took them to get back to 100% raw was less).

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
New raw kiddos on the block!!!!!!
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I would follow a slow transition as Laurie/LDG described above. Every time I followed it went smoothly...... On the other hand..... when I didn't, I had issues a bit later on and had to take huge steps back. So while it can be a bit more work and it does take a bit longer, it is worthy in the end :nod:

Good luck!!! :wavey:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are they? Mine were young (a year or less) when I started them, and not knowing any better I switched them immediately to raw. I didn't run into problems but again I think it was due to their youth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Yes I am very excited that things seem to be going so well. And you get that feeling like....hmmm...this is going too well...when does the axe fall..
I have PLENTY of canned still to fall back on if need be and guess it's good I do to keep mixing it up some.

The 2 oldest, Boots and Baby will be 2 in Aug, Jack, our newest will be 1 in June. All did well with all meals today. Boots had his raw, Baby and Jack had the mix/glob and finished. Jack tonight turned his nose up at the mix and went straight for his glob and wanted more. So I gave him another bigger glob of just raw and he inhaled it. Guess he wants raw now too like his brother.
All meals are topped with freeze dried chicken treats also btw. Read somewhere this could help with acid in the stomach?

I hope they don't get bored with it too soon though, as there is only turkey right now as a second protein. (The 10lbs starter from Darwin had 6lb chicken/4lb turkey) There is a local store that apparently sells Rad Cat. I'm going to try and get there next week.

Last edited:

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old are they? Mine were young (a year or less) when I started them, and not knowing any better I switched them immediately to raw. I didn't run into problems but again I think it was due to their youth.
Mine switched in 3 days, but like your situation, they were only 7 months old.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jack has decided follow his new big brother and wants the raw.
Boots pooped and it looks like rabbit poos, not quite as small. I saw the difference from the others most distinctly. He has had no issues at all. Finishes eating and goes to grooming quite happily. Baby..my little queen.. is on strike..and looked at me like..ummm..you don't really think I'm going to eat that. It was mixed with her most favorite food. 
Well..2 out of 3 isn't anything to complain about. I may have put too big of an amt in her mix. I think I was getting greedy since the other 2 were doing so well. Will cut it back again.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is great that the transition to raw is going so well for you and your crew. It does seem to be a trend that princess cats seem to be more difficult to transition. Please keep us posted. I love successful transition threads!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There HAS to be at least ONE
in every crew!
I know right!!?
Well she ate most of her mix, but none of the glob tonight. I had cut back the amt added and she was more tolerant. Then just gave her more just plain canned to be sure she ate enough. The boy's..again np..ate all their raw.

Ok so..I really thought it was going to take longer for them all to transition and therefore thought this first 10lbs would last longer. But it's going fast. I mean there is still enough to last probably another week, but I am looking now to order from Hare Today, giving myself sometime in between to do more research ect. Plus I want to get over to the store near me that has Rad Cat. Ok so I'm looking at Hare today and they have fine ground's of meat/bone/organ. Now are these complete? I can't find where it says it is. Do I have to add supplements to that grind? Like the chicken says it's the entire bird with including skin and the offal [heart, gizzards, liver].

Thanks all for your continued input.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok nvm, lol I FINALLY found the post that covered this. Knew I had seen it here, just couldn't find it!

The boys are doing great on the raw! No issues and totally bugging me to death when I'm prepping their food now. Baby IS tolerating her mix regularly, but still avoids her little glob. Jack or Boots usually grabs it after she walks away.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An update.

1. I have noticed something about Boots since he has been on raw for almost 2 weeks now. It's a subtle change in behavior. He has always been my "wired" cat. I even kept feliway diffusers going at all times to try and keep him calm. He'd get to the point where he'd just constantly paw the window frames. I am now thinking he may have had this behavior due to "something" in the food, cause now I have not seen him do this at all for about a week. He is still active, but less skitish (sp?) and a lot calmer. Am I crazy thinking it's food related? So far Boots has eaten every flavor i have thrown at him. Today he had pheasant!

2. Jack had me puzzled. He'd eat his raw one day and turn his nose up at it the very next meal. I couldn't figure it out. I'd then mix it in canned for him, he'd still refuse it. TODAY I figured it out. He likes his COLD! I defrost what I need the previous day, then in am divide it all up for the day. I work nights, so this is done when I get home in the morning. I am usually swarmed by the 3 of them and need to hurry to get their food prepped. I warm by letting the bags sit in warm water while I finish dividing the rest of the days meals up. I guess some days the food is colder then others and that's why Jack was eating some meals and refusing others.
Today I was dividing up their turkey and getting ready to refreeze it when Jack appeared and was bugging me. The turkey was cold from the fridge and I was like.. wth..asked him..want to try this? lol..so..put some down and he ate it right up!..Dinner tonight..did the same..took it from fridge and gave it to him cold..np.. he ate it with gusto.

Baby is still on the low end of transitioning. Sometimes she'll eat her mix, sometimes she won't. She DID clean up Boot's plate this afternoon of the bits he left behind. So tomorrow will start experimenting more with her, now that I have figured Jack out.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a great update! Your cats are transitioning so quickly, even your princess. You figured out Jack's "thing" so quickly. Isn't it weird how individual cats are when it comes to raw food?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a great update! Your cats are transitioning so quickly, even your princess. You figured out Jack's "thing" so quickly. Isn't it weird how individual cats are when it comes to raw food?
LOL yes cats are wonderfully complex creatures!

I am so proud of Boots. He is no longer a picky eater! He just loves raw! So far he's had lamb, turkey, chicken of course, and today pheasant. Ate it all. I am now working in chunks of chicken breast for him. THAT is not going as smoothly. Jack liking it cold just never crossed my mind. I just was so frustrated. I was like..wth Jack! You liked it this morning!
I think too, cause they are still young the transition has been easier.

Baby though, is still a mystery, but she has ALWAYS been the pickiest. Even with canned. So I can't figure out if her refusing on some days is due to the canned it's mixed with or the raw. She's still avoiding any little glob of raw on the plate. I tend to spoil her somewhat. She's my little girl and she knows I'll cave and find her something she'll like. She is after all the Queen you know.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL yes cats are wonderfully complex creatures!

I am so proud of Boots. He is no longer a picky eater! He just loves raw! So far he's had lamb, turkey, chicken of course, and today pheasant. Ate it all. I am now working in chunks of chicken breast for him. THAT is not going as smoothly.
Try thin strips/slices instead. I don't know why, but that seems to work better than chunks for some kitties.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok here's my update. I want to up date cause a new issue has arisen.

Since I posted last, all 3 are now on full raw (ground HT meat/bone/organ mix with Alnutrin). My little missy, Baby, surprised the heck out of me on week 2 of the transitioning by going to her brothers plate and gobbling up his full raw plate!

They have also been getting chunks of raw chicken breast and thighs, no bone in. Only Boots and Baby eat them. Jack still looks at them like...huh?...and eats around them if on his plate. Up till now they have been more of a snack offered between meals.

Ok, so now here's what may be a stupid question but, Baby is now on a ground raw strike. She wants her chunks (the LAST one of the 3 I would have expected this from!) and Boots has begun to also need more coaxing to eat his ground. I know they can eat up to 10% - 15% of their diet on these plain meats before needing them to also be supplemented, so I got some COTW I can sprinkle on the meat. Is it ok to use this and add 1 meal, say lunch, of the cut up chicken and still give their grounds (with Alnutrin) as their other 2 meals? Replacing 1 meal with the cut up chicken (Boots also like lamb) is certainly more then 10 - 15%. 

Boots is still the only one who will eat a variety of proteins. Jack and Baby do not like HT's chicken but love the turkey. Weird that Baby likes cut up chicken, but not the ground huh?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehe, that happened to LDG, too. Once she tried chunked meat, some of her cats just wouldn't eat ground meat anymore! Good little carnivores :lol3:.

As long as you add the proper amount of COTW (and each cat eats his/her full amount), it's a balanced meal. So you could even make that the full diet (might get expensive :p), although of course a variety is better.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! They do eat only from their own plates thank god.

Yes, they are good lil carnivores
I'm just so happy they took to the raw so quickly.

I'd go with more whole meat chunks, but I have a TON of ground from HT. Totally did NOT expect this to happen at all LOL I haven't even been able to get 2 of them to eat anything but chicken or turkey. Rabbit was a no to all 3, just got some quail, not a winner either atm. Duck failed. I only put tiny amts in with their reg meal, but any hint of something strange and they refuse the whole plate. Boots seems to be the only one I can do SOME variety with. Oh well, baby steps right? LOL Thanks again.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: Yep, I had a freezer full of ground stuff - some of which even the cats that liked ground didn't like. :rolleyes: Thank goodness I have a large colony of feral cats....

I totally mix up meals - some ground, some chunks, some bone-in, some with eggshell powder.... It makes it slightly more complicated using all different kinds of styles. But basically I just track all the meals that a) aren't ground whole animal or b) meat with CoTW and balance it as prey model raw.

But if you're using CoTW, each meal is balanced - as is each meal of whole ground animal with Alnutrin. So that's easy.

FYI, my cats that stopped eating ground will eat SOME ground - with coaxing. I make them eat four meals of it a week, because they also hate egg yolk. I don't use Alnutrin, so the only way I can get egg yolk into them is with ground food. Four meals a week with 1/4 of an egg yolk (the most I can get them to eat in any one meal) means one egg yolk a week. :lol3: I have to use a fair amount of toppers on their ground food - and the toppers have to be refreshed for several of them about half way through the meal. :rolleyes: