Started Raw now why do they smell so bad?

allypally

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently started feeding my two babies (4 and 7 months) a combination of Nature's Variety Kibble and Raw and my poor little boy Butters has a horrible smell coming from him I work in health care and I'm use to strong odors but this even makes me want to hurl. He is voiding without pain or a change in frequency and does not seem to be in any pain. I checked his rectum and I noticed he had some black crusting around where his glands are and wiped it with a warm wet paper towel and cut his hair around the area so he doesn't get any left behinds (he is a main coon mix). I don't know if I have to take him to get his glands expressed or if this is something that will work its self out on its own and is just part of the diet change. We have already been thought feline herpes a uti, spaying, neutering, and worms. I just want to make sure I have healthy happy kitties and I'm getting tired of the vets waiting room. Any advice??

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh boy, it almost does sound like it could be the anal glands but so young?   I also have kittens that I started on raw, if anything I think they smell better than ever.  Their breath is definititely more pleasant.  I don't know anything about the Nature'sVariety kibble. Could that be causing it?  I am not feeding any kibble.  Mine are on scheduled feedings.  Are you leaving the kibble out now?  It's really easy when they are still kittens to get them used to scheduled mealtimes.

Welcome to TCS.  It's great to meet you!

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd also be surprised for such a young cat to have anal gland problems.  BUT we went through this recently and the black crusties you describe sound exactly like what we experienced.  Our cat didn't smell funny though.  I think a trip to the vet is in order.  I think it is pretty unusual for cats to have a strong odor.

Also, parasites could be an issue. 

One more thing, I've read some folks questioning whether it is good for the digestion to mix raw and kibble because they are digested at different rates.  I don't know that much about it, but you may want to research it and see.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad txcatmom popped in, because of the description of those black crusties - turned out to be an anal gland issue. :nod: Unfortunately, because of that, I'd suggest a vet visit. All of our cats are feral rescues, and the first few months can be quite a hassle getting everything sorted healthwise with them! :hugs: :rub: But once you get over that adjustment hump, hopefully it'll be smooth sailing. :)

If you're not providing a probiotic for your kitty, that's something to consider. I don't know what they were eating before they came to you, but a good probiotic (for a kitten, half a human acidophilus supplement is what I'd recommend. "Pet" probiotics are made from fermentation products, not live cultures) may help - it reestablishes the good and healthy gut bacteria.

Of course... if this is an anal gland problem, the probiotic won't help with the smell issue.

As to the mixing of kibble and raw: Nature's Variety is one of the few that has a low carbohydrate kibble. It's still best for their long term health to feed them all wet (or raw!) food, because cats naturally eat the moisture they need in their meals (mice, rabbits, other small rodents, etc.) rather than drink water, and the slight chronic dehydration over time can take its toll on their organs. But it's carbs vs fat/protein that digest at different rates, and the Nature's Variety kibble is a high protein/low carb kibble. That said - if I were in your shoes with the experience I have, I'd cut out the kibble and see what happened.

...but raw fed kitty poop should have NO smell.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

allypally

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I took him to the vet and the vet seems to think that its just the change in diet but I don't  know how much i believe that but he seems to be fine. I guess all I can do is continue to monitor him I added some pumpkin to his raw food last night to ease his poor tummy and that seemed to help. I think part of it is he is just detoxing from the kitty equivalent to eating Mc Donald's everyday. As far as the kibble goes at this point in time I don't have the time, money, or equipment to feed them raw at every meal but the Nature's Variety Instinct Kibble has no grain or gluten in it its 86% pure human grade meat and 14% fruit and vegetables its the healthiest thing out there that I could find and they love it so much. I do plan to switch them over to a full raw diet but one step at a time lol! I've had cats my whole life but for some reason these two have a very special place in my heart so only the best for my two lil loves! I will have to say I've never had so many health problems with cats until these two. I did kind of rescue them from a pet shop they where in such a small dirty cage and they looked so sad I couldn't leave them there. The pet shop tried to pass off my 7month old(the one in the picture) as a Bengal mix and charge a ungodly amount but after I brought up the condition of there kennels they changed their tune. Hopefully the new food will help build up their kitty immune systems and all of the problems we have with their health will be a thing of the past! Thank you guys for responding!

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The pet shop tried to pass off my 7month old(the one in the picture) as a Bengal mix and charge a ungodly amount but after I brought up the condition of there kennels they changed their tune.
Good for you for rescuing them.  Sometimes pet shop kitties truly are rescue cases.  I'm glad you took him to the vet just to be on the safe side.  It's great these two kittens have someone taking such good care of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allypally

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww well thank you! Butters really hates the vet but it gives me peace of mind and the amount of times we've been there in the last few months I pretty sure the vet is going to start looking for a new Mercedes lol!! I do believe that they are a rescue case some people have given me a hard time from getting them from a pet shop when there are so many cats in LA county shelters but i think if i would have left them there they would have died.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi :wavey:
It is possible that your baby is straining a bit more to pass the much more solid poops now, and all of the sudden the anal glands are getting expressed as he poops - which is NOT an issue - on the contrary..... Maybe a bit got stuck on the fur..... and yes, it stinks to high heavens!