started nesting...woohoo!!

krispin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she just been ripping all her newspaper up and messing her bedding up..yay!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Krispin, can you put that newspaper in some old pillow slips or even better yet, take it out of her nest? It isn't very clean and the ink gets all over the babies because they are wet when they are born ... it really isn't the best nesting material.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You will probably get a lot of differing opinions on what the best nesting material would be, but for me, old soft sheets, towels and blankets are what I use. I keep a couple of old sets of sheets and use one for delivery and the others as needed when a change is indicated. The blankets are usually balled up into corners of the nesting crate so Lex can nest and dig at her leisure.

Old towels are fine, but I would suggest putting them inside old pillow cases first. While I have never had a problem with this, the loops in the fabric of towels can potentially catch little claws.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the same thing as Gaye does, we have towels and blankets that we use, and have on hand to switch out when they get soiled. I also have several large washcloths on hand for when the kittens are born, if any need to be stimulated.
Good luck, I hope everything goes smoothly!!

cookandcompany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the puppy housebreaking pads for the birth only, I layer all over the queening pen so that whenever on gets soiled I can just roll it off the top & there is a fresh one underneath, Great for soaking up all the mess & containing placenta's and such if not eaten by your queen. And then after I use old blankets or such, I usually pin down the edges since babies can get tangled up in them, Or I think someone had a great idea of putting them in pillowcases. Brilliant idea. I will be doing that from now on. I hope all goes wonderfully.