Special Diet

melinda_2212005

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has to have food with low magnesium because he has a urinary tract problem, but he is very overweight. I am trying to find a cat food with low magnesium that will also help him with his weight problem. Any suggestions?

catguy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by melinda_2212005

My cat has to have food with low magnesium because he has a urinary tract problem, but he is very overweight. I am trying to find a cat food with low magnesium that will also help him with his weight problem. Any suggestions?
if u start feeding him raw meat his UT proble will likely go away and he will lose weight. you can call me the Raw Diet Poster Boy.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that since I began feeding my overweight boy a combination of dry and canned food that he gradually slimmed down - I believe the canned food has really helped him to feel more satisfied on less food. If your cat is on a prescription diet, your vet may carry a canned verision of your cat's low magnesium diet. I've seen some articles that say canned food is better for a cat with urinary problems anyway, so introducing canned food may help on both fronts.

If he's on a prescription diet be sure to check with your vet before making any diet changes.

If you're interested in a raw diet as mentioned above, it would be a good idea to consult a holistic veterinarian about your cat's special needs first.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by melinda_2212005

Has he been to a vet? Vets carry special prescription diets. My cats are currently on Waltham's So, which is special prescription veterinary food for cats with urinary problems.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Talk with your vet .. there are some over the counter but

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melinda_2212005

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I think I will try the canned food diet with him. As of right now I have been giving him canned food as a treat that he only gets once in a while.