Spay while in heat?

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Guys, I have a question. I've posted before about the situation with my vet. He's a really nice guy, but has admitted to limited experience with cats because they just don't have too many brought in. I'm in a rural farming community and for the most part cats are barnyard mouse and rat killers. Lots and lots of ferals and strays running around. It's really sad.

So that's why I'm asking for advice from you all. I have a cat that found and adopted me. She was pregnant and had her kittens four months ago. I made an appt for her to be spayed this Monday, but she just went into heat again. It's hard to just reschedule because she's in and out of heat constantly and it takes weeks to get an appointment, so by the time it's her day, she's in heat again. The other thing that worries me is that her kittens are getting older and I don't want her to get pregnant again.

The vet is leaving it up to me. He said he would take her home with him that night to watch for internal bleeding and I can pick her up the next morning. Does that sound safe enough to proceed with her spay?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can be spayed while in heat. It's a bit more complicated/messy but possible.
I understand your concern since your vet isn't experienced to perform a spay under this circumstance. It would be better, obviously, to spay her now since you don't know when you may get another appointment. Allowing her more time to continuously be in heat isn't good for her health, let alone all the kittens she'll produce.
His offer to take her home with him is generous. It would be much better for him to watch over her that first night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying. I feel better about her surgery tomorrow. Will be glad when she's back home.