Sources of chicken necks

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So yet again I'm struggling with raw feeding the boys. In the house we bought I literally have 4 sq ft of counter space when there aren't dishes drying on it, and I put the coffee pot away. So I've had to put raw on hold until the remodel is done. I hate it and I cringed today when I saw Jack's teeth! So while I have some time I'm trying to work out some of the kinks I was having. One issue is bone. Harley is very good with bone and will work at it until he's done, Jack gives up in heartbeat. I would love to use chicken necks, but have no source currently. Where do you guys get yours? I have a couple places to ask about them.

My hope is that I can do a little prep at a time before the remodel, so that when its done, I have a lot of meals ready for them. I'd love to put Pepper on raw too, but her aggression gets so out of hand with raw I just can't risk it again.

Also when preparing your meals, for those who bag meals ahead of time, do you use a knife or kitchen shears to cut your meats and/or bones?

Leslie

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I buy mine from a local grocery store. They don't normally have them in stock but can order them. Before that I bought them from an actual butcher, but she had to order them also. So if you haven't already asked, next time you are in a local store ask the meat department what you can order. An asian market would be a another one to try. You may have a local raw feeders co-op. They will usually buy large quantities of meat and parts from meat suppliers for decent prices.

The knife and shear thing is up to you. I use knives but have friends that use shears. A good pair of shears can go through bone. If you wanted to cut bone with a knife then you will need a good clever. I used a cheap one in the beginning and ruined the edge beyond repair. If you just cutting at the joints than any sharp knife will do.

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm fortunate that my local grocery store carries them, but I've also ordered them from Hare-Today.com. Shipping from them can get really pricey, though, at least to me in Florida! A friend just told me she found them at her local Spanish grocery.

I've killed a few knives trying to chop chicken necks, but my shears cut right through them.

Good luck!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get my chicken necks from a local butcher/grocery store called Fairway Beef - I found them by googling butcher shops in my city.

As for cutting, I use a good quality knife (which I sharpen regularly) on meat, skin, etc. and a high-end pair of shears for cutting up bone-in meals. While the knife will cut through the bones, the shears work much better with much less effort on my part.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
local butcher with local meats... or the pre made frozen from the pet shop ... mine hate necks even the dog ... thighs rule here