Sorry To Disturb But Question On Socializing

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Observing the situation Shadow is not liked by either Shaman or Treasure. She pushes her way to the food bowl chasing the other two away. As stated in my last post I'm at my wits en with these 3. I feel that Shaman and Treasure are not feeling "safe" because of this. I do want to eventually adopt all 3 of these cats but I'm banging my head against the wall. If Shadow is here neither Shaman or Treasure approach. Feeding station or not. If Shaman or Treasure are eating Shadow comes and runs them off. They still won't go near traps. Neighbors don't seem cooperative. I know I was advised to relax and all but this really bothers me to no end. Last night I saw Shadow slinking off with her tail between her legs. Being outdoors and no building to put them in I'm at a loss. I'm sure all of you are getting tired of my constant questions and worry but I try what I can do. I really don't want any of these 3 to take off and never return. I can't even set a proper feeding schedule because Shadow like to eat every 5 minutes if I let her, Shaman comes when Shaman wants to and Treasure always comes with her.

I'm searching and trying to read as much on here as I can so I'm not on here every 10 minuts with another question. Again I'm very sorry for all the posts.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
You're not a disturbance at all :)
What about feeding on different sides of your area? Is that enough distance that one cat can't "guard" the food?
Let me take a photo of the area I have right now. Due to the rain I have to keep it all in one small spot for them. I was reading about clicker training but not sure if it would work with these cats (being feral) or even behaviour modification to stop the food wars.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I understand, the rain issue makes this challenging, unless you could cover the food with a box out away from the other area? I don't know how hard it's raining or if this would work space-wise...

They are very smart and are a bit bonded to you I think, so I believe you could try clicker training. It might take a little longer but could be worth it :)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you, and good luck! Let us know how things go :vibes::crossfingers:
Thank you. It helps that I video tape them on my cam so I can practice the clicking while waiting on the actual clicker to arrive. I'll go outside in a bit when the dampness is gone so I can take a photo of the area. I may even need ideas what to do with those shelves my Dad built 55 years ago, maybe make cat friendly. I'll post the photos of the are in this post.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To keep rain off of the food, you could get a couple of cheap plastic totes of an appropriate size, cut out part of the ends to provide access, and, turned upside down, they would provide shelter for both food and cats.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so here we go. This is the area I have for the cats. My Mom's house so I can't do any building here since she says no. I know it needs some cleaning up and I can move my table and chair to another spot to sit outside and watch them. The red cart with the top that is holding my echo dot is a utility wagon. I'm sure I can convert that into something else too if needed. The other box contains their other toys that I switch out every other day for them so they don't get bored playing the same thing. Unless that's not a good idea. But just not a lot of room as you can see especially since I can't build walls. Since none of the other cats like Shadow, the mirror helps her when she eats. It makes her feel like she has a feline friend as I've seen her act happy in front of the mirror. I just don't understand why she doesn't get along with Shaman and Treasure since they all arrived together.
Space for the cats.jpg

As you can see there are the shelves. They were just a catch all for 55 years but I can possibly clean them off, make them sturdier for the cats?
Shelves.jpg

The stairwell is very small, not even big enough for 2 people to stand there at the same time so nothing can be moved down there. I do have some left over carpeting that is big enough for the little cat shelter box I made as well as maybe 2 more of the same kind of box. But I think I need something sturdier than the cardboard box outside. (i'm far from being crafty, haha had issues with the masking tape for the box) so it would have to be super easy to put together or already made. Shaman does like the cardboard box though.

Now to figure out how to clicker train for them to hear me calling for meal time as they usually sleep/nap at the far end of my 1/4 acre backyard. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. If you need to see the other toys I can pull them out. and place there for you to see.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
To keep rain off of the food, you could get a couple of cheap plastic totes of an appropriate size, cut out part of the ends to provide access, and, turned upside down, they would provide shelter for both food and cats.
Ok so totes made like the box I'm showing on my photo above?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
See I have no idea how good a cat's hearing is. If they're in the bushes 1/4 acre away in the suburbs would they even hear a clicker? I see Shaman gets upset, pouts and walks off if the food isn't there when she decides to be there.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_0634.JPG A tote such as this, turned upside down, and with 2 access holes for the cats would work. This particular version is a Sterilite.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand, the rain issue makes this challenging, unless you could cover the food with a box out away from the other area? I don't know how hard it's raining or if this would work space-wise...

They are very smart and are a bit bonded to you I think, so I believe you could try clicker training. It might take a little longer but could be worth it :)
BTW: I just tried the clicker method and Shadow ran off without eating. I even had a treat. Is it too soon for me to do this maybe? Still haven't seen Shaman or Treasure since this morning's major fight.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'll pick up 3 of them this week. Be much sturdier then the cardboard box. Do yo put blankets and all?
If they are just for feeding, then no. However, if you are going to use them as a shelter for the cats, it would probably be better to use something like straw, as it is easier to keep clean. Do you agree, Furballsmom Furballsmom ?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
B7165D92-B1D6-4DF7-9DEF-12C06DEC71DE.jpeg
Little blurry but someone (Shaman) slept outside my door last night in the cat tree.

Also time for tough love. No food at night. Raccoon got to the food. Saw on replay last night.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
And woke up to this. Waiting on breakfast. She’s 2 hours early though.