sore ears

catwoman45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ive noticed that my cats are alawys scratching there ears and have crusty pus stuff inside and i dont know what it is or how to stop it... can anybody help?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Seems to be time for a veterinary to look at it...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwoman45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah i asked my friend and she said it could have ear mites and that it just needs some drops

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes there are drops for mites at pharmacy I believe. Some oil (olive oil) is also useful sometimes - the mites suffocate and drown in it. I know some veterianrians advocate this home remedy sometimes.

Pharmacys do it yourself medicines or home remedys are useful if you surely know what it is. Or if there are not ANY veterinary around. Better some help than none help at all. But always when if doubt - check with a veterinary! Always.

What is bothering me here is the pus. This is not any good. - and mites usually dont give pus by themselves!. The pus may perhaps be because she get a little sore because of the scratching. But she may also scratch because sore... And infected sores are not to play with. This i why I do recommend a veterinary check here.
Although it is probable no crash emergency with emergency wet, you can go to your usual vet. But do it ASAP...

good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwoman45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Yes there are drops for mites at pharmacy I believe. Some oil (olive oil) is also useful sometimes - the mites suffocate and drown in it. I know some veterianrians advocate this home remedy sometimes.

Pharmacys do it yourself medicines or home remedys are useful if you surely know what it is. Or if there are not ANY veterinary around. Better some help than none help at all. But always when if doubt - check with a veterinary! Always.

What is bothering me here is the pus. This is not any good. - and mites usually dont give pus by themselves!. The pus may perhaps be because she get a little sore because of the scratching. But she may also scratch because sore... And infected sores are not to play with. This i why I do recommend a veterinary check here.
Although it is probable no crash emergency with emergency wet, you can go to your usual vet. But do it ASAP...

good luck!
yes it was ear mite and they have drops and i need to clean there ears every day si they will be ok. i hope they never get it again.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im very glad to hear it, and your cat healthy again and big thank you for telling us!.

So you were to the vet, and he confirmed it was mite and the pus-scratches werent dangerous?

Wonderful. OK I understand perfectly well you probably think: as it was common mite I could go to pharmacy, buy myself the drops. Or even used the olive oil for free and saving also the cost of the medicine!
And saved the expense of going to vet.

Yes. But you would know if the scratches and pus was dangerous or not only afterwards. Ie you would take a chance on your cats healths. Playing russian roulette to be frank.

As now you did it the sure way, taking no unnecessary chances, no russian roulette.

To be sure and secure costs usually extra in the short run. So it is here in live... *smile*