Something to make healthy food taste good?

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to switch Midir and Etain to canned Felidae Platinum (the senior/diet formula). We've been at it for about a week and they just pick at the food, they're eating enough to keep themselves alive I suppose, but I'm concerned about rapid weight loss if they don't start eating more. Last night I added a tiny bit of canned tuna and the water from the can to their food and mixed it up ... as expected, this worked very well, they almost cleaned their bowls. But I have heard concern about fish being a staple in their diet .. and I noticed that the canned tuna does have some soy in it which I have heard is not good for them ... So I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether it is a good idea to continue to mixed up a tiny ammount of tuna with their food, or if this is not a good long term solution.

Are there any products out there which are healthy and safe for daily consumption that might encourage them to eat more? We've tried Kitty Kaviar and they won't touch it

I read on another thread that someone adds warm water to their canned food and mixes it up to make it more palatable, I'm going to try this tonight, but I thought that just in case ... I'd better get a head start on tomorrow's dinner

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What were they eating before? Alot of the cheaper foods spray "kitty crack" on the food (comparable to say, the "flavoring" they add to meat at McDonalds or wherever) so real food won't be as interesting.

When they get hungry I'm sure they will eat plenty, and they'll be fine especially if they're eating a little and its only been a week if they are 100% healthy otherwise.

Did you switch them over gradually? If not, maybe buy a little of their old food and start mixing the Felidae in little by little.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They were on science diet sensitive skin for years and they loved that, but like you said, it's like eating junk food every day, a tough habit to break. we switched to california's natural chicken and rice, and they loved that, but they had the stinkiest poop you can imagine while they were eating it. These are not finicky cats, I think of them like little garbage disposals, normally, they'll eat anything they can get their paws on. After careful consideration I decided that Felidae Platinum was the best food to meet their needs ... and of course, that's the one food they don't like
We've never had any difficulty changing their food before, but maybe I should start over, pick up some cans of food I know they like and make a gradual transition, as you said.

"Kitty Crack"? Do you think spray on catnip would work?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooohh you should try the catnip spray and see what happens! After a couple times they'd just associate the catnip with their food and you wouldn't have to do it any more! I've never thought of that.
I recently went through the same dilemma you're having. I tried to switch Zissou over to Merrick wet food, from Iams Kitten, and she would have none of it. She's also a garbage disposer cat--you can't leave the room while you're eating anything! She'll sort of eat the Merrick, but she just doesn't like it. I'm thinking about trying a few other kinds when it's time to switch over to adult food anyway. She's nine months, but she's still growing!
I think they know its good for them and don't want it, just like human kids!

The gradual thing is probably your best bet, since then they might not even notice that suddenly they're eating a whole different food! If that doesn't work, looks like you've been vetoed and there won't be any Felidae for your kitties!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

The gradual thing is probably your best bet, since then they might not even notice that suddenly they're eating a whole different food! If that doesn't work, looks like you've been vetoed and there won't be any Felidae for your kitties!
Cable has difficulty with high quality foods - they give her the runs! so i mix 1/2 can chicken soup w/1 pouch of meow mix, & that seems to do the trick. also, none of them are crazy about the chicken soup straight, anyway - this combo makes them happy!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

Cable has difficulty with high quality foods - they give her the runs! so i mix 1/2 can chicken soup w/1 pouch of meow mix, & that seems to do the trick. also, none of them are crazy about the chicken soup straight, anyway - this combo makes them happy!
That is a great idea...

also canned food usually is the same % in adult and senior so you may want to try a simplier wet ...

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I buy chicken baby food when I am trying out a new food. They love it! I usually add one half of a little jar to one small can of cat food.
I usually try to get to get the brand with the lowest salt content and no garlic, onions, any kind of extra spices or flavorings.

Hope that helps!

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, my question is, does it have to be Felidae? A lot of cats don't like the canned Felidae and there are so many other options to consider. I just feel that if my cats don't like something I'm not going to force the food, I'd rather buy them something else. It saves me a lot of trouble by not having to waste cans of tuna I'm not going to eat just to pour the juice over it or whatever it takes to make a cat eat something she doesn't like. Besides what happens if you eventually decide not to put tuna oil, tuna juice, baby food or bacon grease over the food? The cat may reject Felidae again.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's too bad they didn't like the Kitty Kaviar - that company just came out with a new product called apPETizer, it is finely powdered bonito, for sprinkling atop dry or canned cat or dog food..as a food enhancer.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are also not big fans of Felidae. They'll eat it but only after they've given me the "um, do you have anything better?" look.

One thing I do is keep a few of the 3-ounce Nutro cans or pouches on hand. They'll eat anything if I mix in some of that.