Snowshoe/Siamese mix?

katiee88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sister's cat is gorgeous... but a complete jerk. Very skittish, has attacked the children, can't be petted, etc. She is transitioning to outside now and seems MUCH happier. Anyway, they briefly attempted to rehome her and had a lot of questions about the breed. Technically a /DSH, but any ideas on mix. I was thinking Snowshoe or Siamese? If it matters, some of the thickest hair I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Technically a bicolor pointed DSH.

But.... shelters/vets would say siamese or snowshoe. Because siamese has become more of a color than a breed and snowshoe is typically used when it is a pointed with white markings on the face. The only way the cat actually IS the breed though is with documentation from a recognize breeder showing they are. Cat colorings can show up without any real relation to a member of a recognuzed breed. Especially ones like pointed and varations on pointed since they are naturally occuring and the recofnuzed breeds have been refined from naturally occuring combintations.

People like to label things so saying snowshoe or siamese won't hurt. Just don't try to claim purebred and know that more likely you have a moggie (cat version of mutt) that got genetically lucky for the combination. In reality it is just a bicolor pointed.

For example, my Rocket was from a hoarder/feral colony/complicated situation. I can tell you for sure though that her mother was tabby, grandmother tabby and great grandmother grey. Father unknown but based on her size and body shape nothing close to pure anything. Yet she is a bicolored pointed.

Unrelated to the breed question, skittish and can't be petted usually comes from a bad experiemce or no experience with humans very young. Biting children is usually bad experiemces with children and bo experience with children when young. Do you know how old he was when your sister got him?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiee88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought pointed was the darker coloration... interesting to know that the white is still considered pointed. Thanks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The white is the bicolored aspect of the coloration. Pointed is the darker spots, blue eyes and as weather changes outside you will probably see darkening in winter and lighter in summer depending on how much the weather changes with the seasons where you are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiee88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They adopted her at about a year old. I'm convinced she was abused. They say she was fine until their first born hit the toddler years. I've seen her scratch their second born just for standing about 2 feet from her... literally just standing there, Adelaide jumped at her scratched all the way down the arm drawing blood. She will come seeking affection, but tends to freak out very quickly and claw whomever was brace enough to attempt petting her. Obviously she was not properly socialized, at the very least. I know outside isn't the best solution... but she seems a LOT happier, and there was no hope of re-homing with her aggression issues. Not that I had any say, as there were many other steps I would have taken... but hopefully it will not end badly. [emoji]128533[/emoji]

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as she has shots, annual vet exams, a warm/dry place in bad weather you'll get no judgement on me on the outdoors. Whatever is the best option for the family is right.

Probably had bad experiences with kids if toddlers are freakijg her out specifically. Which is someone was letting a toddler hit/pull/terrorize a kitten then there was probably more in the home and not a good understanding of cats. My boys were around when my niece was younger and both of them basically tolerate anything from kids pretty limply (or they hide). But we always had very strict kitty/little one rules that went in both directions. The cats learned that tolerating little hands = treats. LOL.