Small-can "tick" learned behavior?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going nuts, because both Innova and Solid Gold are no longer exporting 85 g. (3 ounce) cans of their food. Jamie has always refused to eat any "wet" food that wasn't in a small can - no pouches, aluminium dishes, or big cans for him! A guy who works for a major pet food manufacturer (a "buddy" on another forum) told me that the food in the small cans is tastier, because the food is heated after canning, and smaller cans mean a shorter heating period, and thus more taste. Zsa Zsa has been living with us for almost three months (and eating here for almost 4 years), and now she's refusing to eat anything but food out of small cans. I can get a good Italian brand (almo) in small cans, but I don't like to feed them just one brand all the time. The only other food I can get in small cans right now is Friskies (which I don't want to give them) and Nutro minis, which they don't like. I figured that with two cats, I could split a 6 ounce can between them, but now both of them are refusing the food (I've done a taste test [it really wasn't too gross], and can't see any difference). Jamie isn't accepting Zsa Zsa's presence in the house, so they're fed separately. So why is she picking up his habit? Do any of you have cats that insist on little cans of food for each meal? Do you stick to just one brand? Should I give in and allow Friskies more than once in a blue moon?

sullaford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, i know i'm new to the whole cat scene, but i would reason that if you put out the food they'll eventually eat it. They're too smart to starve themselves and I would think that if it's what is available then they'll use it. Perhaps they'll get used to it? I can't relate to my own kittens because they eat anything that rattles in the bowl. Oh yea, my cats are on dry food (they love their water)so i don't know about the wet.

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine aren't picky, they'll eat pretty much any food no matter the container, but to answer your other questions, I definitely would not feed them the Friskies, that stuff is pretty bad, IMO, but I don't see anything wrong with sticking to one brand - I stick to one brand... is there something wrong with this that I don't know about, or do you just want them to have some variety? If the latter, I'd sacrifice variety before I'd feed them the Friskies. Is there any way you can order food online, or have someone send it to you? (I'm guessing you've already considered these options and they're not possible, but thought I'd mention it just in case...).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm already ordering online, and customs won't allow the cans sent by my folks in the U.S.. My sister sent me "Chicken Soup", and it was confiscated.
Jamie has always insisted on a lot of variety, and I do think it's a good idea just in case a food becomes unavailable. For example, Nutro wasn't available for several months here (due to new customs regulations), and a lot of people whose cats are only accustomed to Nutro were begging for it on cat forums. Now the same thing is going on with Precept. Jamie and Zsa Zsa both like dry food, but I really want them to eat at least 50% canned food.
Most premium brands come from the U.S. or Canada. I buy by the case, so I really haven't been affected until now by the new EU customs regulations. I just can't believe that these little buggers are refusing to split a 170 g. can of food. It's not like they're being forced to eat "leftovers" from the day before.