Gabagoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
My uncle's cat had kittens about 18 weeks ago (from which litter I got my current kitten, who is not the subject of this post). Her and her remaining 2 kittens have lived in his garage with access to the outdoors ever since. Approximately 3 weeks ago, according to him, the mama cat brought in a newborn kitten and began feeding it and taking care of it. They aren't sure if she was pregnant and they didn't know about it or if she found it and adopted it as her own. She had still been lactating from the previous litter of kittens (who must have been around 14-15 weeks old at the time of the new kitten's birth) because my uncle hadn't separated them. Yesterday I went to see this new kitten, and it is very tiny (barely any bigger than the size of my hand) and has a twisted leg. Its eyes are also much smaller than most kittens I've seen. It is also infested with fleas, which they have been working to get rid of. Everyone agrees that this kitten is downright adorable, but we also think that there might be something wrong with it (besides the twisted leg, which is obvious). What do you think? I doubt they will ever take it to the vet because they are admittedly pretty irresponsible pet owners (I adopted my kitten from their cats' original litter and have taken her to the vet monthly for checkups and vaccinations, and will have her fixed very soon, so please don't come at me for being irresponsible, because I am not, and I don't have much say about what my uncle does with his animals).

Here are some pictures of the new kitten that I took yesterday (he is approximately 3 weeks old according to them)

Last edited by a moderator:

maggielee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a precious kitten! I hope you are able to help his twisted leg and thank you so much for caring about it and your own kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gabagoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The twisted leg might be contracted tendons, in which case you can do something for him at home:

Caring For A Kitten Born With A Twisted Leg
Yes, thank you for the link. I have sent it to my uncle and I hope he and/or his girlfriend and step children will follow the directions it gives. Unfortunately, they live 3 hours' drive away from me or else I would do it myself.

I'm more wondering if the eyes are normal or if this kitten has the small eye syndrome I've read about (I forget the name for it; it begins with an M). It is hard to tell if they're abnormally small or if it's just that he's really tiny.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sweet little kitten! I don't see anything wrong with him except for the twisted leg you mentioned. The eyes are a little small, but not exceptionally so. I don't think they are anything to worry about.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The smallish eyes MAY be because its yet so young, the eyes barely has opened.
The twisted leg; its massage twice every day with correcting gymnasique - ie careful twisting in the right direction. Good is to warm up the leg before, so the tendons are warm and strechable.
An IR lamp is good, such as rheumatic people uses. And people having lizards and hatching chickens...

It good to spay the momma - cats arent protected by lactacing, unlike human women.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 3 year old who was born with 2 club feet and the condition fixed itself. Vets can put splints on them but the condition can right itself or the cat will adjust on it's own as it grows.