Skye, a known Birman mix. I say "Longhair". What say YOU?

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Skye is an almost 14 year old Birman mix Domestic "____" Hair. Her mother was a beautiful registered purebred Birman with a pedigree, making Skye half Birman and of impressive maternal lineage. Dad was Mom's date that night. She was an 11 week old half breed kitten that I bought from some lady whose unspayed cat got loose and came home pregnant. I gave $10 for her with the proviso that the lady put that $10 toward having the mother cat spayed at the excellent low cost clinic on the other side of town. Skye is certainly a half breed, and a good one.

But a "half breed" is still a Domestic for most records keeping purposes by most vets.

She has a beautiful mane and bib in the winter and her coat is full. She could have toe tufts and foot fur if she simply lounged about the house. But it gets rubbed away through climbing trees and walking fences. Her coat is very soft and silky-- everyone at her vet loves to pet her (though the love is NOT mutual!)

Her tail is a feathery plume much of the time... not as thick and billowy as Tara's... but Tara is a show grade Himalayan with an IMPRESSIVE brush tail just like her father's.

Based on the following, I call her a "DLH (Domestic Long Hair), Half Birman ancestry".

I have had others disagree-- "Medium Hair".

I now present my cat and her case for review.  
Coat ruffling a little in the breeze, some of her tail is visible. Early spring, just before the big blow and shift to the summer coat.

The tail is a little thin. This is more like her "summer coat", with less mane and bib, and a wispier tail. Even her bloomers have blown.

Winter coat, thicker tail...

MEDIUM or LONG??

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Birman itself is considered a LONG hair, and its coat is no longer than your girl's coat, so yes, she's a longhair.  And yes, the longhairs shed their thick coats in the spring, only to grow them again when the days start getting shorter.  Medium hair is shorter than that, in my opinion!