Since feeding raw, I've noticed...

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
It's been a few months since my cats switched to Raw food, and I thought I'd report my discoveries.

Previously, they were on Soulistic and Trader Joes canned (both grain free) and occasionally some Buffalo Blue dry. They were doing very well on it, but I decided to do better.

Within few weeks of transitioning, both cats are on all Raw. I guess it's what you call Frankenprey.. cut meats from the butcher dept. in grocery stores?

They are on:

• Chicken

• Turkey

• Round Beef chunks

• Chicken Gizzards/Liver/Hearts (liver once every 2 weeks)

• Pork Chops

• Chicken Wings with bone (for Cassie as Monet isn't a fan)

• Occasionally Lamb (when it's on sale and I can afford to shell extra cash)

• Nature's Variety Rabbit/Vension

• Sardines (once a week)

• Egg Yolk (once a week)

All boneless meats supplemented with Taste of the Wild.

After being on this diet for a few months.. I've noticed:

• Increased energy (they are always dashing within an hour after meals!)

• Softer, thicker, shinier fur (Especially on Monet who's always had dry, coarse fur)

• Less shedding for Monet (Cassie still sheds horribly)

• Healthier skin (Especially on Monet who's always had dry, dandruff skin)

• Affection has increased a bit

• Monet no longer has split ends on his whiskers

• Less plaque on Monet's teeth!

• Less stinky poo, more urine

I am sold on Raw after what I've seen. No negative reports, except I have to prepare, cut, baggy, sort, find room in freezer and clean! I don't mind it really, it makes me feel good to prepare for the kitties :)

If anyone sees anything on my menu that I should change/improve on or have suggestions, I'd love to hear it :)

And, has anyone given their cats chicken necks or chicken feet? I see them for sale at a local asian market, but I am unsure about it.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like raw is going well and doing good things for your kitties!  I've also noticed my cat seems friendly overall, very odd for her as she's been mean the whole decade+ I've had her.  The less shedding and poo/smell is a big plus as well around here, for all my animals.  I don't feed chicken feet to the cat, she won't eat them, neither will my ferrets although they adore quail feet.  Supposed to have lots of good stuff for joints in them and my dogs love them as a treat, nice and chewy.  The smaller carnivores aren't big on necks either, I feed chicken and duck ones sometimes but not often, maybe once or twice a month. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always resd it is bad to feed chicken feet because they are not meat. If cats don't eat feet in the wild, I would not buy them.
Well, cats eat their whole prey in the wild, feet and all. :dk: Of course, they're not usually eating adult chickens, but if they eat a chick, it's most likely the whole thing. :lol3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And Draco? We've seen all the same changes. :lol3: To our list we can add - the cats are friendlier to each other. :clap:

And the supplement is Call of the Wild, ;) not to be confused with the cat food TOTW. :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
And Draco? We've seen all the same changes.
To our list we can add - the cats are friendlier to each other.

And the supplement is Call of the Wild,
not to be confused with the cat food TOTW.
I keep thinking its NOT Call of the Wild, because of that annoying TV show "Call of the Wildman" that I cannot stand! LOL

thanks for correcting me!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Angel had some raw this past weekend, & LOVED it!!

I found a Natural Food Pet Store here in town that has raw. I was so excited to find it!  I went there this past Saturday after work to check it out.

I was talking to the owner about trying to start feeding Angel some raw, (prices etc.). I wanted to start w/ some raw treats first, to see how Angel would do,

but they didn't carry any raw treats, or small enough portions to use as treats. The owner had some Bravo Beef Patties there, so she gave me one of

hers to take home & try. (so nice!)  I managed to break off about an eighth of a piece (ran under room temp water, in a baggie to thaw) for him to try.

"He gobbled it all up!"  I continued breaking off portions & mixing it in w/ his by nature Beef & Liver over the next two days. He loved it!

I think we will be adding some raw very soon, now that I can get some locally, & not have to pay shipping! 

I was also happy to see that they carried by nature can food. I used to buy that for him, until Pet Smart stopped carrying it.

(It cost less than Before the Grain, & is a whole oz. larger can!) 

(I think the fact that he used to get to go outside on his own, where he would catch/eat birds, or squirrels, plays favor in him having no problem w/ raw.

He's probably glad I caught on!
 )

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How does eating raw food make cats friendlier?
I asked the same question when within just the first few days the difference in how the cats acted toward each other was stark.

AC suggested that it's like when you've been eating a not-so-great diet for a while, and you're sluggish and tired. You don't sleep as well as you should, and you're a little cranky. You start exercising, you eat only fruits and veggies for a couple of days, and you sleep better, so you feel better. You're not cranky any longer. :D

Kelly - that's great! :woohoo: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked the same question when within just the first few days the difference in how the cats acted toward each other was stark.
AC suggested that it's like when you've been eating a not-so-great diet for a while, and you're sluggish and tired. You don't sleep as well as you should, and you're a little cranky. You start exercising, you eat only fruits and veggies for a couple of days, and you sleep better, so you feel better. You're not cranky any longer.

Kelly - that's great!
Thanks Laurie!  I knew you'd like that news!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
AC suggested that it's like when you've been eating a not-so-great diet for a while, and you're sluggish and tired. You don't sleep as well as you should, and you're a little cranky. You start exercising, you eat only fruits and veggies for a couple of days, and you sleep better, so you feel better. You're not cranky any longer.

That makes total sense :D

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never thought it was possible because switching from Science Diet to Blue Buffalo to Hill's and Royal Canin d/d had no effect on how much Patricia and Wilbur loved me and each other. Of course I had no idea raw food was safe for cats who have been domesticated for thousands of years.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And Draco? We've seen all the same changes.
To our list we can add - the cats are friendlier to each other.

I WISH I could add that one to my list, but, alas, it didn't happen in our household.  Callie is still ruling with an iron paw, and if those boys just look at her wrong, she smacks 'em up side the head
.  Not sayin' they don't deserve it, just sayin' she didn't get any friendlier.  (too many years being beat up by Sven, I think.  Now that he's gone, she in charge and not budging an inch)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I WISH I could add that one to my list, but, alas, it didn't happen in our household.  Callie is still ruling with an iron paw, and if those boys just look at her wrong, she smacks 'em up side the head :lol3: .  Not sayin' they don't deserve it, just sayin' she didn't get any friendlier.  (too many years being beat up by Sven, I think.  Now that he's gone, she in charge and not budging an inch)
:lol3: Well - I can also say that since raw - Perla (who is not 100% raw :rolleyes: other than Rad Cat Lamb) has gotten more gutsy in sticking up for herself! I have seen her smack Wendall in the face more regularly now instead of running off screaming. :D :clap::clap::clap: AND - Wendall - her school boy tease - has lightened up on bugging her in the evening!! :clap::clap::clap::clap: AND Pipsqueak, who still is the warden :soldier: of the house, has lightened up and instead of seeming "stressed" he seems "confident and less cranky" :lol2: and quickly takes care of business amongst the social hierarchy of both the cats and the two old dogs (and me, of course) :rofl: It is a much more well run household now, since raw!!!! And that is the only new thing I can attribute this lovely, positive change in our home...... RAW!!!!

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Forgot  to add.. Monet has become more vocal after meals. He'd usually meow once or twice, but now he'd meow for nearly half an hour!