Silly Question about urine output!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not quite sure where to post this thread, but am putting it here under raw because you all reading here know I am trying to convert to raw and it kind of has to do with it

Here's my issues.  I actually have NO IDEA how much my kitties should be peeing, and here's why.

1)  until 10 days ago, we had a CRF cat amongst us who peed gallons, so everything was skewed.

2)  we recently converted the other cats from kibble to canned, so they are drinking less water (when on kibble they actually drank lots, so I think they peed more...but again, it's hard to know exactly what pee belonged to what cat.  But I did see them all in the litter box more than I do now)

3)  Now we have added raw into the mixture (though not much as they are not all convinced it's something they like...YET)

So, my question really is, is it normal for them to only pee maybe once every 24 hours?  I realize their poop dropping off considerably is normal, but thought I have seen that their urine might actually increase when they went from kibble to canned.  I sure don't think that's happening here, but then again, it's so hard to know, since Sven was the one who used the litter box more than anyone else, and did for years.  All I know is that I clean the boxes in the morning and again before bed, and sometimes there is absolutely nothing in them!  I find this shocking.  I'm used to having 2 - 3 sandwich baggies full each time.  So now I'm paranoid and everytime I heard anyone in the box I run to see who it is to make sure I catch them in the act to make sure no one has a blockage or something.  So far I have witnessed them all peeing at least once in the past few days, and no one seems to have any issues, but is once a day normal? 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Sally :).. All I can say is that I have noticed the same thing, even with Pipsqueak who used to go often and in smaller amounts. Now the clumps are much, much bigger and less of them. I am thinking this is normal, I hope. I have also noticed with Perla, because I always see her go in the morning after she is done eating. Her clump is HUGE, just monstrous. I think this is a valid question because I was wondering the same thing. So hoping someone who has been feeding raw can confirm and put the worries to rest on the urine output. I have also noticed they don't drink as much water anymore since going raw. That doesn't worry me because of all of the moisture in the raw meat and wet foods. Great question and a valid concern too :nod:

Last edited:

southpaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to wonder this myself. My cat has always been a once-a-day pee-er lol and I expected his output to increase when he switched to raw. But he still only pees once a day, and that's having water mixed in WITH his ground raw. Every once in a while he goes a day without peeing, and I don't think that will ever stop giving me a heart attack. But so long as his behavior doesn't change, and he isn't unsuccessfully  trying to pee, then I don't let it worry me too much.

I almost posted this exact question a couple weeks ago LOL so you're certainly not alone.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Judging by the litterboxes I'm pretty sure 3 of my 4 pee about once a day. Coco I think pees more but that is because she *loves* to drink water. She has ever since she was a kitten.

carmina piranha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would not have said I'd seen this, until yesterday!  Yesterday I was like
, "Where is the pee?"  (And poops!)  Everyone took a holiday yesterday.  So it was nice to see this thread!  Today there's plenty in the litterboxes.  The pee-balls haven't gotten any smaller than the larger raw-size ones, they just went away for a day! 

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While I don't know the right answer to this question, I can offer some input.  My cats pee about 2-3 times per day, but they still get kibble over night so they would pee more than most raw feeders.  I can also say that when a cat does have blockage, it is fairly evident.  The cats will move slow, cry at the litter boxes, and even sit/lay in strange positions.  I think if there was a problem, you would notice it in their behavoir. 

Hope that helps some :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
While I don't know the right answer to this question, I can offer some input.  My cats pee about 2-3 times per day, but they still get kibble over night so they would pee more than most raw feeders.  I can also say that when a cat does have blockage, it is fairly evident.  The cats will move slow, cry at the litter boxes, and even sit/lay in strange positions.  I think if there was a problem, you would notice it in their behavoir. 

Hope that helps some :)
Everyone's answers have eased me mind, but particularly this one, since I've never, thankfully, had a cat with a blockage.  It's just so strange not seeing many clump in the boxes
, and after Sven's kidney disease, and having had another with HL (a long time ago) I'm an extreme worrywart, especially now that we're trying to move them to raw.

Thank you so much every.  I feel much better that all seems "normal" over here! 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 8 cats, and scoop a LOT of pee. :lol3: I definitely scoop more than 8 pees a day out of the boxes - but I know for Sure that Chumley pees only once a day - a HUGE clump!

That said, I can definitely scoop in the morning, and have only a little bit to scoop at night. :nod: If I had only 2-3 cats, I'm assuming there would be days where there wasn't anything to scoop.

carmina piranha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the first time I've seen a reduction in pee, as in, no pee to scoop out. Otherwise, the past 3-4 months on raw have been either MUCH larger clumps, or slightly larger clumps (close to racquetball size) and lots of them. It will be interesting if this less-pee trend continues. It's good to know the signs of an actual blockage, since that did run through my mind (but it couldn't be all the cats simultaneously!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is the first time I've seen a reduction in pee, as in, no pee to scoop out. Otherwise, the past 3-4 months on raw have been either MUCH larger clumps, or slightly larger clumps (close to racquetball size) and lots of them. It will be interesting if this less-pee trend continues. It's good to know the signs of an actual blockage, since that did run through my mind (but it couldn't be all the cats simultaneously!)
Well, that's the thing.  I don't honestly know if it's a reduction in pee or not
, since I never knew exactly who was peeing where, I just knew a lot of the pee was Sven's and now he's gone
.  It's possible all the others always just peed once a day and I just never noticed...I just knew I was scooping up lots!  But Sven was CRF and drank lots, plus got sub-q fluids, so naturally, he had lots of output.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am certain that is the case with the missing pee clumps. :nod: The fact that :rbheart: Sven peed so much that you really didn't know how much the other's were going or when. I am also certain that you would be seeing one of the kitties going in and out of the box or seeing many small pee clumps. That is what I have noticed when Pipsqueak had a problem last summer. There were many smaller pee sized clumps in the box. I think in the days to come you will get a better feel of who is peeing and when :nod: It is all new for you now since :rbheart: Sven is gone..... :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Last edited: