Signs of Autumn

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An annual sign of the turn of the seasons - Italian blue plums in the market. Today I baked a plum cake: cut plums in quarters and macerated with honey, butter, lemon juice while I prepared batter, substituting yogurt for sour cream that I did not have. Prepared cake pan, poured in batter, neatly arranged pieces of plums, topped with streusel. And baked.

Apples in the market but I'm not certain if they are this year's new crop or last year's cold storage. No cider yet so probably not.

What produce signifies the turn of the seasons to you? Forget Costco's Christmas displays, they don't count.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm still in corn/peach (summer) mode! I guess Fall for me would mean roasted hatch chiles.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorites would be the squashes...acorn,butternut,etc. and pumpkins.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
An annual sign of the turn of the seasons - Italian blue plums in the market. Today I baked a plum cake: cut plums in quarters and macerated with honey, butter, lemon juice while I prepared batter, substituting yogurt for sour cream that I did not have. Prepared cake pan, poured in batter, neatly arranged pieces of plums, topped with streusel. And baked.

Apples in the market but I'm not certain if they are this year's new crop or last year's cold storage. No cider yet so probably not.

What produce signifies the turn of the seasons to you? Forget Costco's Christmas displays, they don't count.
I have never had a plum cake but it sounds wonderful. For me it’s locally grown produce in the stores. Sweet corn, tomato’s, cucumbers, apples. Minnesota has a short growing season so these show up later than that grown in other states. And then there are Abdallah caramel apples. The absolute best, they will show up in a few markets in mid to late September.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Granny Smith apples, fresh off the tree. Fall is here when Rick and I go down to Hollabaugh's and peruse their apple bins. We come home with tons of different apples, which I then use to make applesauce, a variety of apple pies and lots of apple dumplings.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fresh apples for fall. Summer is watermelon, been my favorite as far back as I can remember. Late spring, early summer is strawberries.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stopped in at the feed and mercantile yesterday, on our way home from assorted errands. And they had two bushels of Concord grapes! I got a couple of quarts. Last night I processed them. Now have juice and pulp in the refrigerator. And this weekend I will make grape jelly and grape butter.

Also, a nearby farm stand mentioned that they have boxes of plum tomatoes. So I'll swing by and get some to process for the winter.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems Autumn is arriving quicker than expected as Squirrels have Shown up on my deck looking for food. Also the weather guessers are saying to expect 43F for a low this coming week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the farm stand did have plum tomatoes. Not by the box. Three for $1. That's 3 tomatoes for one dollar. So I left.

But the Concord grapes - magnificent!

Concord Grapes_2023-09_basket of grapes.jpg