Sick Kitten In Colony

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We went out late last night to help our friend who cares for a colony of cats. We've gotten most of them TNR'd over the months. There are 3 kittens (maybe 6 months) who we have not been able to trap yet. We got the mother fixed, and she tested negative for FELV but we've had a terrible time getting the kittens.

So yesterday one of the 3 kittens was acting very sick. Wouldn't eat and just hung out on my friend's porch. We drove out there and took it to our local emergency vet. We were hoping it was just a typical kitten fever of unknown origin, but as soon as I saw how sick the kitten was, I knew it was bad. Leaky eyes, sunken in eyes, jaundice ears, and barely holding it's head up. The vet agreed it was extremely sick. Dehydrated, jaundice, etc. She did FELV and FIV tests and they were negative, but given it's condition (and the fact we have our own cats and little money and no place to respite it), we decided to put it down. At least it didn't suffer or die alone. It died knowing some love and care.

We did not bother with the $300 bloodwork (I'm amazing we got out of there spending only $450) and that wouldn't have told us much more anyway. Obviously, we're worried about the other 2 kittens. They were playing and eating fine yesterday. Our friend will keep an eye on them. This makes trapping them more urgent, but we're traveling for a wedding this weekend and can't try again until Monday/Wednesday next week.

Any ideas what could hit an otherwise healthy colony? The vet didn't think it presented like FIP, but those things are all hard to know. Any experiences with this?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't have anything to offer, but by responding to your post I am 'bumping it up' on the list in the hopes more members will see and can offer some ideas to you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be any number of things. I do hope you can catch the other two kittens next week.

Thank you for not letting this kitten suffer any longer. Poor baby. RIP :angel:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping these little ones out and I am so sorry that one of them did not make it.

I rescued a feral cat years ago who was in the same boat, he was the color of a golden pear from top to bottom. By the time I had gotten him to my vet he was in a coma. The vet gave him an extra strength antibiotic shot and I stay up all night giving him fluids under his skin. By three in the morning he was sitting up with his eyes open.

The vet thought it might have been some poison that he drank outside, like antifreeze. This also could apply to your kitten or she might have been born with a defective liver.

Last edited: