sick cat

Ramjet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat got into a fight last year after a few weeks he started losing weight but eating heaps, we have always wormed him, took him to the vet after blood tests he was given thyroid medication but nothing has changed,its difficult to get him in a carrier to get him to the vet and it cost me over $600 to take some blood, any suggestions

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not enough information to offer anything. If he was given thyroid meds, then he must have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Is he still taking the meds? Has he been re-checked to see what his thyroid level is after being on the meds for a while? If he is still losing weight, it could be that his meds were not a high enough dose, or that he also has kidney disease.

Besides losing weight, what else is going on? How old is he?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If he was hyperthyroid and you started the medication, Methimazole, he should have been tested 30 days later to make sure the dose is right. So he needs another test. It shouldn’t cost that much. You are only testing one thing, his thyroid. It is important that he be on a regular schedule with the Methimazole twice a day for 2 weeks before testing. If he is hyperthyroid and not getting medication, he will continue to lose weight and his internal organs will be damaged.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ramjet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
cat is 12 years old, might try to take him back, he needed to be sedated to get blood, i just cant afford another $600