Siberian Spotted or Mackeral tabby?

siberianhusky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5.5 month old Siberian kitten I show in TICA. Breeder registered him as a mac tabby when he was a baby but the time he was of showing age he appeared spotted so I changed it to spotted in TOES & that is what he has been shown as. I still have to send money to TICA to do a color change. Breeder feels he is a mac tabby & just needs to grow into his stripes, but he has spots on his belly, shoulders & sides. 1st 2 pics are how he looks now,

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I myself I would call him a broken mackerel.  I dont think these spots are clear enough, definied enough, to be said as a show quality spots.

On a pet companion, I would probably shrug and agree.  But if you want it on paper to show for judges...

I think its better they rejoice how nice spot alike stripes they are,  than   critizie for not well definied spots.

Also, as far as I know,  Siberians arent renown for being spotted.  So you "would stick out your chin" as we say in Swedish, do something risky.

Now, Im not a Show expert, and my own breed doesnt has any spots nor color variations to speak of..

So lets wait to see what our more experienced Show participants say..

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What counts as spotted among the pure bred fanciers may be more difficult than a simple amateur like me thinks.

The other day I was on a Swedish cat forum.  Took a look see on their Breeder and Show section.

And there is a classical tabby with some barely noticeable spots on his tail.

And the owner has a similiar question as @SiberianHusky   here.

"My cat was registered as a classical tabby.  But I do see 7 spots on his tail.  And the regulations says, if its more than 4-5 spots on the cat (tail?), it may be counted as spotted.

Im considerating to reregister my cat into spotted, what do you say me breeder fellows?"

And they seemed to agree...  Yes, it is spotted, was their consensus.

Now this was Fife, not Tica, but still...

Who knows, this  Siberian here may after all be a spotted, when the analysis gets accurate enough.    I rest my case!   :)

Good luck!