Siamese And Dsh Possible? Coat Color.

What possible breed combo is my sweet boy Hilary. And what color is he?

• Total voters

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have any better photographs? In this photo he looks like an orange tabby with green eyes.

It is really hard to tell but if his eyes aren't blue he isn't a pointed cat; which means not Siamese. And, just to point out, all Siamese are pointed but not all pointed are Siamese. I can tell he cross eye but while that is a genetically linked trait of pointed cats it isn't exclusive to them. The crossed eyes of the pointed cat developed naturally to compensate for a genetic flaw in their eye structure. That same genetic issue is what causes them to be pointed in the first place ironically; pointed cats with crossed eyes actually have to cross them to be able to see straight. My boy is a pointed cat and has a minor cross eye, you can definitely tell when he is focusing on something because he eye crosses and he shakes his head ever so slightly.

If he doesn't have blue eyes and the cross eyed did not develop suddenly, or has been there since kitten hood, then it is likely a genetic trait that randomly happened. Like you sometimes see in humans, but has no link to a specific breed.

Breed is one of those really hard to pin down in cat things. Cat breeds are rarely like dog breeds. You can't look at a specific cat and say "he has ___ parents" in 99% of cases. Some are obvious, Persian for example, because they have been so refined by humans. But in most cases specific breeds are from naturally occurring mutations or color combinations that people enjoy. Even the recognizable pointed (which most people will group as Siamese) can occur in cats with very distant relations to a Siamese (or another pointed breed) when the right genetic mix occurs. So, unless you have breed paperwork to verify pedigree cats fall into the category of Domestic Short Hair, Domestic Long Hair, or (some will argue) Domestic Medium Hair. In your case, based on this photo, I would go Domestic Medium Hair orange tabby.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'd also like to see a better photo, I think the lighting is a bit weird in that one. His eyes look blue to me, but there are going to be differences between screens on different devices. So if you could post several more pictures, that would be very helpful! :)