Shy Tortie Cat

qt314

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I recently rescued a tortie cat and I would have two questions for you: 1. I know she is a mix breed, but what is she mixed with it, if any?

2. She is very shy. She refused to eat for the first couple of days and is still resting in places that aren’t easily accessible. She lets me pet her and enjoys it whenever I do, but she gets very scared if I try to lift her or if anyone enters the room. My question is if she has no problem with being touched and petted, why is she hiding and retreating into a corner every time I approach her?

Thank you and happy holidays!

1494B744-F56C-4B36-9E95-229294C8D22D.jpeg 138D66E1-FFDA-4C39-BF57-CD2C6D473A83.jpeg 4EAB4118-4E51-41CC-9031-784D8E855669.jpeg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful colors! Very pretty girl. My cats don't like being picked up either. Where did you rescue her from?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She’s pretty! She’d be called a tortie Domestic Shorthair. I don’t see a certain breed in her screaming at me, but maybe another poster can catch something I missed.

I’m not an expert in the behavior aspect; another poster will probably be able help you out with that. Has she been spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qt314

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s pretty! She’d be called a tortie Domestic Shorthair. I don’t see a certain breed in her screaming at me, but maybe another poster can catch something I missed.

I’m not an expert in the behavior aspect; another poster will probably be able help you out with that. Has she been spayed?
Thank you! Not yet. I plan on doing it next month. I have been told she is only 3 months old, but I can’t be 100% sure.

KrisM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a simalir experience when I rescued a torti. she was a few months old (3 or 4?) from a shelter. Wasnt and abusive/neglected or stray situation but we didnt know how much socialization she actually had prior. She hid under my bed for weeks, i would lay on the floor every day with out trying to approach her so he could get used to me without feeling cornered. she eventually became more comfotable and slowly expaneded her boundries around the house. Eventually she became a very loving lap cat but not with everyone. She preferred my Grandma & my Mom, wasnt a fan of my brother, but he was only 4 so i understand that. never would try to interact with any of my friends if they came over. Not agressive, just shy. would hid somewhere until they left the house. My boyfriend at the time would try to take her from where she was hiding and hold her thikning she would eventually get used to him. Bad idea. she never went near him, even when we lived togather... He was crushed..lol

She ended up being a wonderful cat, just picky about the company she kept :) i would just allow her to adjust to her new surroundings at her own pace. Moves can be super traumatic for any cat. spend as much time as you can in the same room but dont make her feel cornered. talk to her, say her name so she can get used to you and your presance and she will come around. maybe get some treats . throw them a few feet infront of you and allow her to come to you... the next time.. drop them a little closer, over some time she may come right to you after she learns to trust you. Also shake the bag lightly when you offer treats so she associates the noise to you and goodies! i can shake a bag of treats and my cats will wake from a dead sleep where ever they are and come running :)

Cats tend to do things on their time, some you have to earn their trust, some cats would hop in a strager car because they love everyone! Also skittish kittens grow into affectionate cats.. Some cats will never be lap cats , instead they will be a constant hang out buddy, just on the chair next to the couch your sitting on lol.

Being patient with cats in a new home is key. Eventually she will come around. Also, its pretty freaking rewarding earning there trust :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qt314

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a simalir experience when I rescued a torti. she was a few months old (3 or 4?) from a shelter. Wasnt and abusive/neglected or stray situation but we didnt know how much socialization she actually had prior. She hid under my bed for weeks, i would lay on the floor every day with out trying to approach her so he could get used to me without feeling cornered. she eventually became more comfotable and slowly expaneded her boundries around the house. Eventually she became a very loving lap cat but not with everyone. She preferred my Grandma & my Mom, wasnt a fan of my brother, but he was only 4 so i understand that. never would try to interact with any of my friends if they came over. Not agressive, just shy. would hid somewhere until they left the house. My boyfriend at the time would try to take her from where she was hiding and hold her thikning she would eventually get used to him. Bad idea. she never went near him, even when we lived togather... He was crushed..lol

She ended up being a wonderful cat, just picky about the company she kept :) i would just allow her to adjust to her new surroundings at her own pace. Moves can be super traumatic for any cat. spend as much time as you can in the same room but dont make her feel cornered. talk to her, say her name so she can get used to you and your presance and she will come around. maybe get some treats . throw them a few feet infront of you and allow her to come to you... the next time.. drop them a little closer, over some time she may come right to you after she learns to trust you. Also shake the bag lightly when you offer treats so she associates the noise to you and goodies! i can shake a bag of treats and my cats will wake from a dead sleep where ever they are and come running :)

Cats tend to do things on their time, some you have to earn their trust, some cats would hop in a strager car because they love everyone! Also skittish kittens grow into affectionate cats.. Some cats will never be lap cats , instead they will be a constant hang out buddy, just on the chair next to the couch your sitting on lol.

Being patient with cats in a new home is key. Eventually she will come around. Also, its pretty freaking rewarding earning there trust :)
Thank you for the advice! I will give her plenty of time and hope for the best :)