Shedding

clintsworld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Folks,

I have a MaineCoon cat (Tazz) and he's ALWAYS shedding all over the place. I was wondering what I can do to slow this down besides regular brushing. I love the guy to death but there isn't one place in the house now that doesn't have a piece of Tazz on it or in it at this point in time.

Thanks!!

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think probably all you can do is brush, brush, brush, but if anyone has any other suggestions please do post!

I brushed my two kitties yesterday and I swear, it looked like there was an entire cat in my wastebasket when I got done!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is the "kid" eating??? omega6 and 3 are very inportant with coat and shedding... brush ... I have used foam baths to help get the hair...

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever tried the ZOOM GROOM? You`d be amazed how much more hair they can collect off your cat than a reg cat brush! Both of our cats LOVE being brushed with it!
Linda

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how far you want to go with things but when I switched my kitties to raw food the shedding really went away. If you don't want to do that then I agree with sharky - check out Missing Link for the omega fatty acids and it might help. Most pet stores carry it.

Petsmart - Missing Link

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clintsworld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WOW....I never got an email telling me you all answered this. DANG! I feed Tazz Science Diet Salmon wet in the moring and then the rest of the day he is free to browse on Max Cat (Salmon flavor) dry from his food bowl. Why would he be lacking Omega 3 & 6 with all this fish he's eating? Also he doesn't mind being groomed as long as it is on HIS TIME!
If you try to brush him out when he's not in the mood he just bites at the brush and then runs off to another part of the house.

I did give him a bath just before the end of the summer and he didn't mind it too much EXCEPT he would rather bathe outside in a rubbermaid container than the bath tub.(Go figure as he's in the bathtub each morning after I take my shower.

So, do you all have any other suggestions? Or should I just shave him bald and enlist him in the Army?

Ciao!

Ps "Hi" you two! SOME HOW you look familar to me!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Baths are great for shedding - that's why Ollie gets one once a month... can you maybe put the rubbermaid container in your bathtub and bathe him? You could also add some fish oil or shed-stopping supplements to his food.... some animals just shed a whole lot more than others!!! As long as it's not coming out in clumps and his skin looks healthy, it's not a problem.... I've come to realize that I simply must succomb to having an all-animal hair wardrobe and bedding collection

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clintsworld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Baths are great for shedding - that's why Ollie gets one once a month... can you maybe put the rubbermaid container in your bathtub and bathe him? You could also add some fish oil or shed-stopping supplements to his food.... some animals just shed a whole lot more than others!!! As long as it's not coming out in clumps and his skin looks healthy, it's not a problem.... I've come to realize that I simply must succomb to having an all-animal hair wardrobe and bedding collection
I've come to this conclusion myself and have bought stock in Wal-Mart because I purchase SO MANY of those tape lint removers!