she won't eat unless I'm the one who feeds her

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my cats have wet food in the mornings, but Nedicks for some reason will only eat it if I am the one who gives it to her. I feed them during the week, but on the weekends DH is up before me and he feeds the cats so I can sleep in. But Nedicks won't take the wet food from him--sometimes DH can't even get her out of the bedroom and when he does, she sniffs the food and walks away. There's no point in feeding her when I get up, because unless Nathan is occupied with his own food, he hovers around and she won't eat then either (and Nathan will climb all over me if DH gets up and doesn't feed him right away).

So right now we're just not feeding her wet food on the weekends. (She gets prescription, and why put it out if it's just going to become part of a big breakfast buffet for Nathan.) Yes, I could give up sleeping in on the weekends and get up and feed them both, but that doesn't solve the larger issue--in November we are going away for a week, and if she won't even take the food from my husband, she's certainly not going to take the food from the sitter. That means nothing but dry for a week, and she has bladder stones--I really want her to have her wet food.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get her to accept food from someone other than me?

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
....aaawww she loves you! Just a thought, perhaps DH could try rubbing a piece of your clothing, on his hands to get your scent on them, just before handling her dish, etc. Maybe that might "trick" her into thinking the food came from you or may help her accept the food from him more easily if your scent is on his hands.

Does that make sense? Just a thought!

Shanynne
Extreme Kitty Lover