Separating “bonded “ cats

Georgesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats . One is an older 11 male I’ve posted about before . The other two are almost a year old male brothers who are both neutered . One of them is the sweetest bobtail boy . His brother is quite the opposite . I adopted his brother sight unseen because when I applied to adopt Arlo the bobtail I remembered how having two kittens at once is better for them developmentally . His brother was still available and I hadn’t met him so I really had no idea of his personality. I had met Arlo and fell in love with him and was totally willing to adopt just him but I adopted the brother thinking it would better to not leave him behind or for Arlo to have his sibling . We named him Finn . So Finn was a little more shy at first but quickly became avoidant of us and any handling . We tried to handle him the same amount as Arlo but he just didn’t want to be handled , picked up , held , pet etc . The boys played and slept together . I did see some dominance between them but couldn’t tell for sure which was going to be dominant . They’ve both been fixed since 10 weeks . Arlo was always the brave friendly kitten who loves to snuggle . Well over time Finn has become more and more elusive and avoidant of people . Arlo and Finn generally sleep separately. They do play and race around in the evening but most of the time you find Arlo on his cat tree , and Finn roaming around looking for things to get into . They have loads of toys . They have a cat tower and scratching post . Finn will happily entertain himself with a ball but often is found trying to get into things and pester our rabbit or our older cat . He acts bored despite all the stuff he has to play with and his brother . That’s not the issue though : he basically acts like a cat who would be better suited to outdoor farm life than an inside family cat . He shows literally no affection or interest on people unless you have food . My oldest daughter seems to have some kind of language with him and he will go lay down on her bed and let her pet him . But even she agreed that he just acte
Oddly . It would be ok … if it’s just his personality. I have often wanted to rehome him . I will NOT rehome Arlo as he’s super sweet and we all have bonded with him . But here’s the problem, Finn seems to have influenced Arlo and now Arlo is acting more reclusive and avoidant of people . He has no reason to except he’s taking cues from his brother . Instead of his brother seeing how brave and social Arlo is , Finn shows Arlo all the things to get into and teaches him to avoid humans . I feel like Finn had actually had a negative influence on Arlo instead of the other way around . I saw someone say that as kittens get older their kitten bond goes away . They don’t sleep together and rarely show each other affection but they do play . I wonder if Finn would just do better in a quiet single person household . He’s never been outside so I don’t see him actually doing well outside despite his reclusive tendency . Our home is kind of noisy and he hides from everything and slinks around . You can look at him and he runs . Arlo normally isn’t afraid of anything and loves our toddler (toddler isn’t aloud to pickup or tease either of them and never has been ) . I just wonder if both of them would thrive better if separated . People have told me I should just rehome them together or it wouldn’t be fair to them but my whole point is that only one them seems to be not thriving

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It doesn't sound like you've really ever taken to Finn because you have always compared him to Arlo and found him less desirable. Cats can pick up on how a human feels about them, and they will react accordingly. The very fact that Finn has warmed up to your daughter is an indication of that. She also is influenced by how you feel and may say things about Finn since he is repeatedly compared to Arlo. Of course, any cat that is less than the 'perfect' cat is going to be deemed 'odd' when compared to the 'ideal' one.

Finn and Arlo could not have been, and maybe never be, treated the same as each has their own personalities, as is the case with most cats. Cats thrive off of their caretakers understanding and working with those personalities to help them be the best they can be. They don't try to mold them into another cat they find more appealing.

The other thing you have to consider is that Finn is not actually influencing Arlo, but that Arlo is maturing and will take on a different personality with age. Most kittens who start out all lovey-dovey do tend to be less cuddly and affectionate as they start to grow out of kittenhood and into the teenage stage. So, what changes you see in Arlo may have nothing to do with Finn at all. Some cats are naturally more mischievous than others, some take some time to get mischievous just on their own.

I don't have an answer for you because you would have to want to make a concerted effort to develop a relationship with Finn as you automatically did with Arlo. No two cats will ever be the same, and you have to embrace them each as their own individuals.

I base all of this on what you have said and your tone about Finn. So, just take that, and my comments, into consideration.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And remember, BOTH kittens (and at that age, they are still kittens) are "teenagers" when it comes to mental development, wiith all that brings...including being disinclined to be affectionate, often. You may find that Arlo becomes more affectionate within the next year, as he matures more.

But I so agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . ALL cats are individuals. And each must be approached on their own terms if you are to have a real relationship.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I have tried and i continue and he rejects all efforts or attempts of any kind of affection . My daughter stays in her room a lot so it’s always quieter so I think he just likes the quiet .

Georgesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
e just comes up and starts needing on her pillows and lays down next to her
It sounds like he's chosen his person. Most of the cats I've met have a favorite person in the house but still like the rest. My Grandmothers first Siamese loved her and ran from everyone else.

Sqeeker, my picture, had a similar personality. After 15yrs he still ran if you glanced at him too long. He had his brother and never wanted a person.

Some are born nervous. That doesn't mean they are unhappy just highly aware of their surroundings.

Georgesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well if that’s the case I can live with that . He likes my daughter . And his brother. . I thought maybe he wasn’t happy but if he is content and just a nervous little soul maybe he is best to just stay here and I’ll resign myself to loving on the other two . I mean I love him too. But I will just let him have his distance and be his own little cat self .

It sounds like he's chosen his person. Most of the cats I've met have a favorite person in the house but still like the rest. My Grandmothers first Siamese loved her and ran from everyone else.

Sqeeker, my picture, had a similar personality. After 15yrs he still ran if you glanced at him too long. He had his brother and never wanted a person.

Some are born nervous. That doesn't mean they are unhappy just highly aware of their surroundings.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have a little cat door to your eldest's room? If he can have access to her when her door is shut, that could help him.

Personally, I would not separate them. They are at their teenage stage and the "acting less bonded" could be just seasonal, either buy the season of life they are in or the season it is where you live. They play together daily which is a huge sign of bonding.

Who is in charge of daily play with each cat? Do they have a play routine to build confidence?

What kinds of catification do you have in your home?

What type of enrichment activities do you rotate through? Does Finn have a "yes" space for destructive behaviour like giving him a box with craft paper? (Can be fun to make a cat box fort and colour it with non toxic markers with your children. My neices and i used to do this and it was win-win in terms of children activity and then cat enrichment. We regularly made new ones.)

Teenage cats, much like teenage children go through a stage. They want their people to seek them more. So I agree that it may just be age and not the influence of the other cat. Or again, there's more noise outside due to spring and more human activity. Cats can hear what's happening outside from much longer distances than we imagine. Could be that your cat doesn't remember last season's outside noises and just needs to get used to them again. That happened to Magnus when he was young. He temporarily got a bit more nervous again.

It doesn't sound like Finn would benefit from a single person single animal situation if he is already bored. I'd you do choose to rehome him, he would still need a cat playmate and perhaps just someone with more time to provide enrichment activities and rotation of them.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I mean I love him too. But I will just let him have his distance and be his own little cat self .
And in the end, that may be just the way to eventually win his trust and his heart. We ALL love people who accept us just as we are, and who don't make demands on us that we cannot comply with. While he is having his distance, you can certainly slow-blink him. It tells him, "I trust you," which in cattish is one brief, short step away from "I love you."