Scratch Wound & Infected Eye

ambrite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is turning 11 soon and she is ageing quite well. However, recently she's been scratching her neck and has created a wound. She has no flees and no worms, so I don't know what's causing her to itch enough to make herself bleed?

As for her eye, she constantly has what seems to be conjunctivitis, but the vet says its because of the lack of protection she has around that eye (the other one has black fur around it). Something about the sun. I'm studying science, and I still don't understand lol. Occasionally treatment works, but I just want to know why it has not healed. It's been more than a year now and I'm sick of the vets saying it's nothing.

Nothing seems to work due to my lack of understanding, and the vet is expensive. Please help!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont understand about why he cant help her either. Have you tried a different vet? I think thats what i would do, get a second opinion. Bless her heart, i will keep my fingers crossed for her. :crossfingers:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm seconding a different vet.

By the way, have you tried a food change, just in case that might make any difference?

Is there anything in your household, scented candles, harsh cleaning products, diffusers, air fresheners, is she coming into contact with a plant, something that's being dried with a scented dryer sheet...is her litter scented and/or dusty?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ambrite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dont understand about why he cant help her either. Have you tried a different vet? I think thats what i would do, get a second opinion. Bless her heart, i will keep my fingers crossed for her. :crossfingers:
Thank you <3 I just checked with my mother, she said that our previous vet (a more expensive one) mentioned that our cat may have allergies and also said it had to do with the pigmentation around her eye. The vet we have currently is the cheapest, and they said the same. I've tried teabags, but they don't work that well and we're still using the ointment we gave her. It seems to help a little bit but it does not cure it. We can't really afford the vet right now, but hopefully I am able to save some of my student allowance haha.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ambrite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm seconding a different vet.

By the way, have you tried a food change, just in case that might make any difference?

Is there anything in your household, scented candles, harsh cleaning products, diffusers, air fresheners, is she coming into contact with a plant, something that's being dried with a scented dryer sheet...is her litter scented and/or dusty?
We do like to change her food regularly because my dad said "imagine if you had to eat the same food every week, it's boring" hahaha, so it will be difficult to see what kind of food may be causing an allergy. I will test it. We usually fed her Friskies biscuits, but now because she barely has any teeth, I'm giving her more soft food and cat broth.
We do have candles but we very rarely light them, sometimes we use exit mould because houses here in Auckland, NZ are very susceptible to mould. For her litter we use crystal litter (most of the time she just goes in the garden and hides everything well). She does eat grass occasionally which I know isn't good. Perhaps there's a bush she may be allergic to?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be a bush, can you keep her inside for a couple-three maybe four weeks and see if that makes any difference?