Scratch post moves across room when cats scratch

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How might I weigh it down so it stays in place? It's one of those smaller kitten kinds of posts.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you attach it on a wall or any permanent fixture in the house?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the floor like? Carpeted, or something smooth? If it's a smooth floor, that's the problem. Wear your mask to go to the Dollar Store and look for shelf liner. You should be able to find a roll of shelf liner that's like a rubbery mesh. Buy it for $1, cut a piece that's the same size as the base of the cat tree, and put it under the cat tree. Use the rest of the roll to keep area rugs in place, or to grip lids when you're having trouble opening a jar, or (gasp!) to line shelves.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you attach it on a wall or any permanent fixture in the house?
I rent, so wouldn't want to attach it to the walls. But if the shelf liner idea from the other user doesn't work, I might consider drilling it into some sort of wood block or something.
What is the floor like? Carpeted, or something smooth? If it's a smooth floor, that's the problem. Wear your mask to go to the Dollar Store and look for shelf liner. You should be able to find a roll of shelf liner that's like a rubbery mesh. Buy it for $1, cut a piece that's the same size as the base of the cat tree, and put it under the cat tree. Use the rest of the roll to keep area rugs in place, or to grip lids when you're having trouble opening a jar, or (gasp!) to line shelves.

Margret
It's on a carpet, but I wonder if it might still not work?
Didn't know that it could be used for area rugs. I spent $15 on some area rug grippy stuff for a new rug I got for Christmas.
Hmmm... maybe that might actually work for the scratch post! I have more in the pack!
(Also, thanks for reminding people to wear their mask! Safety and health first!)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you go to Home Depot for a custom board of wood to expand the base? Maybe they might be able to sell you some spare carpet or artificial turf to cover the new base. Then screw your tree into the larger base.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course for the cost of the materials (and time) that you might spend on expanding the base, maybe you can just get a larger tree? A cat will cross a room and skip your furniture for a good, solid post they can stretch up on, and scratch to their heart's content.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
If you're handy/crafty you can always buy a wide, flat board and either heavy-duty staple or hot glue gun sisal rope around it. Laying a wide, flat board on the ground will make it harder to move.