Scottish Folds & Shedding

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does this breed really have a reputation for being heavy shedders? I have one and have never heard of it until last night when my friend told me she wanted one, but that they shed A LOT. I can't say from experience because my little guy is still a kitten and I have yet to see how bad it will be once he matures.

Can anyone attest to or dismiss this "myth"?

Thanks!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not a myth - kittens coats are different then adult coats and rarely shed out till they mature.

Scottish Folds have a double coat like the British SH's (which are in the background) - therefore they WILL shed most of the year (heavier in the spring).

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one foldie boy, 11 months old, he doesn't shed much. I also have heard that they are 'supposed to' shed alot like BSHs, but I haven't noticed anything. Actually everyone who comes to visit are always wondering where all the loose hair is as I have 4 cats (the fold and 3 brits) here but very little hairs flying around.

I think it's the crappy food that makes most cats shed, the ones with double coats of course shed then more, but if you feed them well there shouldn't be problems with shedding.

*edit to add after reading GK's reply* My cats actually shed most during the autumn..

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a couple of Scottish and British breeders, all say they shed a ton.

I've seen the fur flying at shows during judging too.

Maybe it depends on the lines.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Its not a myth - kittens coats are different then adult coats and rarely shed out till they mature.

Scottish Folds have a double coat like the British SH's (which are in the background) - therefore they WILL shed most of the year (heavier in the spring).
This is what my friend said. Even at 4 months old, my fold is beginning to shed and I do see his fur on my couch and bed. There is also quite a bit when I brush him.

Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

I have one foldie boy, 11 months old, he doesn't shed much. I also have heard that they are 'supposed to' shed alot like BSHs, but I haven't noticed anything. Actually everyone who comes to visit are always wondering where all the loose hair is as I have 4 cats (the fold and 3 brits) here but very little hairs flying around.

I think it's the crappy food that makes most cats shed, the ones with double coats of course shed then more, but if you feed them well there shouldn't be problems with shedding.

*edit to add after reading GK's reply* My cats actually shed most during the autumn..
Thanks for sharing your experience! Hopefully my fold won't shed as much as they are supposed to.

Originally Posted by missymotus

I know a couple of Scottish and British breeders, all say they shed a ton.

I've seen the fur flying at shows during judging too.

Ever since I asked this question, I did some searching on the internet and one lady described her fold as "dripping fur" even though she brushes him daily.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've heard this too. One day I very much want to have a Scottish Fold.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Could be. Also the color will propably have some affect in it. Mine are all silvers except for the lilacpoint (BSH) who doesn't live here, and I've noticed that the lilacpoint sheds more than my silvers (shaded, spotted & point).

By the way, KatGoddess, can we see a pic of your foldie?

maxipooh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Scottish Fold, almost 3 years old, they DO shed A LOT!!! it has been shedding like crazy for the past couple of weeks (spring time now) the more you brush the more hair you get, never ends :eek:(