Scottish fold... Stray??

agp027

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I have already had a thread that was sort of about this in the stray and feral cat care forum, but I figured I might catch a breeder's attention better here.

I took in a momma cat with 7 kittens about 6 weeks ago give or take (their birthday was August 5). She had seven kittens that were scattered over the yard, so of course I had to take them in. She was extremely thin. Only two survived: zinc and violet.

Violet is a long haired kitten that has straight ears, but Zinc has lopped ears and has since he was 3 weeks old. He's short haired.

I live in West Virginia, so as you can imagine lop eared cats aren't common. I've never even seen one in person. The mom cat was a stray, so there was no selective breeding going on there. She was a known stray at my neighbors house who fed the local cats. None of them were lop eared. I want to reiterate that there has never been a known lop eared cat anywhere in my neighborhood, but somehow zinc's ears are down.

I took some close up pictures of his ears, and I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me if they look like a Scottish fold's ears. I've read that they can have bone problems, and that really concerns me. A few people on the other thread have suggested that he could just be an original lop eared cat because of a mutation rather than breeding. Ive also thought maybe his ears just need a little time and they'll straighten out. I'm thinking that they would have done this by six weeks, though. Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm worried he may have some deformities that other cats like this have, and would like some advice on what to look for if you think that's what the deal is. He's not showing any apparent signs and is jumping around like a mad man, but I'd still like to know what to look for. Thanks!
This is him when his ears first started to lop
this is him as a baby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

agp027

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
reading through some other posts on here, it seems like coats can have a factor in breeds. Violets hair is way longer than zincs, so I'm thinking she'll either be long haired or medium haired. Not really sure how to tell at this young. I'll include some better pictures of their coats. I'll also include some baby pictures of them with their siblings. I don't like to post those because five of them passed away, but maybe it'll help.
Here's a picture of their fur.
Here's a picture of them with their siblings when they were babies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wonder, do you know how the littermates, whm didnt make it, how their ears were?   I know the ears arent well developed on small kittens, raises up at 3+ weeks.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here's a picture of their fur.
Here's a picture of them with their siblings when they were babies.
Its often difficult to see on young kittens, esp as they tend to be extra fuzzy.   But we had here an example of a typical shorthair kitten, whom as adult grew a beatuiful longhair....   As we joked, it must have been either trolls or gypsies whom changed him out...

Anyway, in unsure cases the tail is the best telltale.  Bushy tail = long / medium hair....

I see the grey kitten, Violet?   seems to be spotted for real, its not just some spots on the tummy as is common in tabbies, but its spots over the body too.

While the bro is a more typical mackerel tabby.   Do you know the pattern of all the rest - alive and dead?

agp027

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His litter mates died at about a week or so old, so their ears looked like little nubs just like his. I have some pictures of the runt and some of violet too that show their ears
Do you know what's up with his ears? It's really tough for me to believe that he's mixed with a Scottish fold given the circumstances. The only reason that I care so much is because I've read that a lot of them have bone issues.

As for the other kitties, I don't have any great pictures of them because I tried not to mess with them too much. There was a sand colored one that looked marbled, there was an all black one with a little white speck on the front of his neck, there was a gray one with white on his paws and neck, the runt was all zigzagged, and there was another calico that looked exactly like her mom.

I know that they're little mutts, and I'm fine with that because they're healthy. I'm about 80% sure violet will be long haired. Her hair is so much more dense and long that zinc's. When ever I part her hair to pick for fleas I can barely even see her skin, and she dries off super fast. Then again, she could just be a little different; I'm definitely no expert. Her tail isn't that much more bushy than zinc's, but it is bigger. She's also always been much much bigger than him. Are spots considered unique? I always thought she had pretty hair :)

My main concern is the ears. Like I said, I'm really really hoping he's just an original mutation. This really is a weird little litter of kittens though haha
I'm not sure if you can quite tell, but this picture shows the size difference. I was taking a nap with them haha

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
His litter mates died at about a week or so old, so their ears looked like little nubs just like his. I have some pictures of the runt and some of violet too that show their ears

Do you know what's up with his ears? It's really tough for me to believe that he's mixed with a Scottish fold given the circumstances. The only reason that I care so much is because I've read that a lot of them have bone issues.

As for the other kitties, I don't have any great pictures of them because I tried not to mess with them too much. There was a sand colored one that looked marbled, there was an all black one with a little white speck on the front of his neck, there was a gray one with white on his paws and neck, the runt was all zigzagged, and there was another calico that looked exactly like her mom.

I know that they're little mutts, and I'm fine with that because they're healthy. I'm about 80% sure violet will be long haired. Her hair is so much more dense and long that zinc's. When ever I part her hair to pick for fleas I can barely even see her skin, and she dries off super fast. Then again, she could just be a little different; I'm definitely no expert. Her tail isn't that much more bushy than zinc's, but it is bigger. She's also always been much much bigger than him. Are spots considered unique? I always thought she had pretty hair

My main concern is the ears. Like I said, I'm really really hoping he's just an original mutation. This really is a weird little litter of kittens though haha

I'm not sure if you can quite tell, but this picture shows the size difference. I was taking a nap with them haha
Spots arent that unique, but still, less common.  Them having different colors and tabby patterns, makes me think there were several toms. At least two, possibly more.  That is not so common as one thinks - usully the different colors can be explained by basic genetics.

But having both mackerel, classic AND spotted tabbies, and at least one non tabby gives at least two toms involved.

Re the ears - I dunno, a couple of days have gone, and my thoughts hadnt clarified much.  Of course, its fully possible one of the toms was a fold.  Although its a rare breed.

I hope there wont be deformities, IF, so this tom has mamed with a totally unrelated female. No trace nor possibility of  inbreeding of THAT variation.

If there was inbreeding, it wa something else...

So to summarize.  Dont worry too much, I think.

The danger a random moggie is inbred is much greater than the danger of meeting a fold stud, and getting negative genes from this.

And yet, most moggies do manage quite well, although quite a few of the ARE inbred per definition.    Barn cats are often so, being sort of a local colony. Taking one example.

Last edited:

agp027

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking the same things about the dads. I guess I'll just have to wait and hope that he is healthy. His ear folds are kinda weird; they go back then forward. I just can't get over that a stray has folds lol. Oh well, I suppose he'll just be my folded ear cat. :) thank you