Scheduled for a dental treatment and going under - is it safe?

catmoming

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My cat is scheduled for a dental treatment in a few weeks and will be going under general anesthesia. I'm really paranoid about going under even for my medical needs, so I keep spending my days away researching the risks of going under for cats. Can this potentially be really dangerous? She doesn't have any severe dental disease, but she's four years old and refuses to brush her teeth (it's literal war between the two of us, haha) every day, so I think it's a preventative measure before any health concern develops in her teeth. She will be dropped off at 8 in the morning and picked up at around 4 in the evening when she wakes up (with constant monitoring in-between while she sleeps). The vet is renowned in my area and I'm sure they've done this a lot, but my anxiety is killing me! She's 10-ish lbs and domestic short hair (a ginger tabby); she has never had a particular issue with her health before.

If anyone has similar experiences, please do share with us--thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
it's a preventative measure before any health concern develops in her teeth.
It is wonderful that you're doing this, since dental issues left without care can be painful and can also have a negative impact, for example on the heart etc.

It's also excellent that you have such a good veterinarian :heartshape:

There is always some risk and every cat is different, however my Poppycat has undergone dental cleaning and even a tooth removal with no problems. Just be sure you know exactly what you may need to do at home, (block off stairs etc) and what to look for/expect and for how long if she's having any residual effects from the anesthesia.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not a vet - most dental cleanings are very simple and straightforward, however, there are always risks with any procedure.
Like everything on the internet, it's the "law of bad news", where the 1 or 2 times something went wrong (not even with the dental procedure, but an unknown underlying condition) is the loudest on the web. You don't post online every time you go to the grocery and nothing happens, but the one time you go and something does happen, it's online right away.
If you're coming across a dozen bad stories, just remember, there are thousands that went just fine, but no one wanted to post about it.
I have 5 cats, all 5 with special needs, 4 have been to the dentist multiple times (one is too young to go) and the only "bad" thing that has ever happened is one of my girls needed some fluids after. That's it.
Take a deep breath. Don't make yourself sick over the stress. It'll be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmoming

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

It is wonderful that you're doing this, since dental issues left without care can be painful and can also have a negative impact, for example on the heart etc.

It's also excellent that you have such a good veterinarian :heartshape:

There is always some risk and every cat is different, however my Poppycat has undergone dental cleaning and even a tooth removal with no problems. Just be sure you know exactly what you may need to do at home, (block off stairs etc) and what to look for/expect and for how long if she's having any residual effects from the anesthesia.
That is so great to hear! Yeah, we're happy to have found a great, qualified veterinarian whose office is super close to our home, too. They've taken such a good care of my Rosie! :) Thank you so much for sharing your experience and also for letting me know what I may need to do when she's back home. I'll be sure to ask the vet and get it done before I pick her up. :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmoming

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not a vet - most dental cleanings are very simple and straightforward, however, there are always risks with any procedure.
Like everything on the internet, it's the "law of bad news", where the 1 or 2 times something went wrong (not even with the dental procedure, but an unknown underlying condition) is the loudest on the web. You don't post online every time you go to the grocery and nothing happens, but the one time you go and something does happen, it's online right away.
If you're coming across a dozen bad stories, just remember, there are thousands that went just fine, but no one wanted to post about it.
I have 5 cats, all 5 with special needs, 4 have been to the dentist multiple times (one is too young to go) and the only "bad" thing that has ever happened is one of my girls needed some fluids after. That's it.
Take a deep breath. Don't make yourself sick over the stress. It'll be fine.
You're totally right; I agree with what you said about the bad news being the most commonly heard in the online space! I'll make sure to get her plenty of water when she gets home, if she needs it. Thank you so much for your reassurance! :) :redheartpump: