Sampling from our plates

leafwhisper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Annie has gotten into this habit recently of scavenging from our plates. Every time I turn my back she is trying to sample something. Yesterday I even caught her stealing potato chips from my son's lunch while he was in the bathroom. She seems to be doing it out of curiosity more than anything else, and while I find it somewhat amusing, I am afraid that she might eat something that could harm her. I don't think it is a hunger thing, either, as I free feed her and see her munching on her Taste of the Wild dry food throughout the day. Should I be concerned about her sampling or just ignore it?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would gently but firmly break her of the habit of taking food off of your plates... It is another thing to offer it to her. My boys are terrible scavengers... so what I do is give them a sample of whatever I am eating --- as long as it's not toxic to them ... on the floor.

And I do feed them human food on occasion as treats.. .like organic (unseasoned) roast beef from Whole Foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leafwhisper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a list somewhere of what is toxic to cats? I know basic things like chocolate, but I'm sure there are some things that I might not have thought of.