Safe Low Income Housing Options?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont make much money, but have two cats. Does anyone know whats the cheapest way i could live on my own, but safely? i dont know if i want strangers as room mate for the safety of the cats.

All the cheap apartments are studios (i have allergies so i cant sleep with my cats). And the low income apartments have the scariest reviews, bed bugs, mould and awful management.

im trying to find a place near kendall (where i work) or homestead (where i currently live).

ive even looked into mobile homes, but im worried about hurricane season.

ive been so desperate i looked in RV's lol but i dont know if i can leave my cats in one. also, dont know if my allergies can handle it.

i dont have much money. I can maybe pay $1000 or so a month. Even that might be a bit too much. I made the mistake of buying a new car, so the car and insurance is around 500$ a month, plus my cards. So it would be a struggle even living in a place that $1000.

Anyone have any crazy ideas? lol

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Look into the local housing authority for options. Some of the housing may be "projects" / public housing but many towns and city have affordable housing options for lower income people. Not Section 8 or anything like that but apartments that are specifically set aside for lower income people. It's usually done on a lottery basis. Around here, there's a state 40b housing program that requires new apartments to set aside a certain number of units for lower income people. Some of the buildings are in pretty wealthy areas like downtown and along the harbor and all the swanky amenities are available to all residents regardless of income, though some amenities may have a fee to use. There's always way more people applying than there are available apartments.

I found these resources for your area:

Affordable Housing Resources
County Owned Mixed Income Properties
Low Income Apartments in Homestead, FL

This article might have suggestions:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article231551978.html

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 thank you! im checking those links out now. ;)

ive been looking at mobile homes. the price is so low that its tempting. Especially since its more private than an apartment. just worry about the safety and how warm the home would get.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 thank you! im checking those links out now. ;)

ive been looking at mobile homes. the price is so low that its tempting. Especially since its more private than an apartment. just worry about the safety and how warm the home would get.
Price homeowner's insurance on them before you do anything. It's not easy to get and it's expensive. Especially in Florida.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kat0121 Kat0121 ok, thank you! i know theres the cost of the mobile, plus the land as well.

i'll make sure to look into things before i do anything.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know anything about your area other than it is super expensive compared to mine! Wow! I was going to suggest an FHA loan or something along those lines to get an affordable house. I know Florida has some options that could help with or eliminate the down payment. I do not know if that is an option for you or something you might want to consider, but I am giving you some links.

If you click on the alert in the top right of this page, it will list areas of FL that are covered by the USDA loan. Just scroll down a little in the pop up:
Florida | USDA Rural Development

HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Down Payment Assistance Programs

This one is a mortgage calculator that lets you play around with extra payments. Extra Payment Calculator ~ Amortization Schedules ~ Accelerated Payments

As for rentals, I saw this, but I am not sure if it is close enough to where you want to be. I mean, I can tell how close it is mile-wise just not time-wise. A one bed/one bath is $878.
Sunset Bay Apartments - A South Miami Apartment Community Offering Low Income Housing and Section 8 Housing

Good luck!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elphaba09 Elphaba09

Thank you for the links! I'll check them out tonight.

I did see that apartment yesterday when I was searching around. But the reviews made me nervous. Especially the thought of the bed bugs. :sigh:

neely neely

That's a good idea! Didn't think about that. Thank you!

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trailers are fine. I know lots of people who live in trailers. The newer ones are well insulated, although electric bills may be higher than a similarly-sized house. There is lot rent to consider. Insurance doesn't seem to be hard to get, idk, I should ask them sometime. Of course Florida is Florida, so maybe it's harder there.

Usually the only way to have pets in subsidized apartments is to get a doctor's note for them to be ESAs. Which of course leads to a sudden rash of people who "need" ESAs. I'm a bit conflicted about that. But if you're on any kind of medication you could probably get a note.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy

Thank you for the info.

I'll be looking into all the options this weekend.

I didn't know I couldn't have a pet in a subsidized apartment. :(

That's the first thing I check in the apartment listing im looking at.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Kat0121 Kat0121 ok, thank you! i know theres the cost of the mobile, plus the land as well.

i'll make sure to look into things before i do anything.
When looking at mobile homes=best to get one 10 years old to 15 years old. Yes insurance can be a pain. I have insurance through Allstate and my home is 23 years old but I moved here when it was only 8 years old. The price to insure hasn't risen much. I love living in a mobile home compared to apartment/duplex. I do live in a park though. The land is beautiful here and I am allowed to build gardens. The cats love it here and having seperate bedrooms is nice for allergies.

The only thing you will want to do yearly or every other year is a company that comes in and vacuums out the ductwork. Once you do this yearly/biyearly, it will be easier on your sinuses. I also duct taped Cheese clothe to the vents to help reduce dust.

I don't know what state you are in-I am in the northeast. We use a window air conditioner and we have been able to keep 75% of the home at 75 degrees on a 90 degree day. I didn't buy a house because home taxes would price me out of the house on top of mortgage and insurance which is why I went with a mobile home.

Best thing to do-when looking at for sale mobile homes, park next neighborhood over, and chat with the neighbors if you feel comfortable. Chit chat with someone outside working on a project to get an idea of the neighborhood. It sure beats living homeless or in the city. I don't regret moving here.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
You may be able to have an emotional support animal where you live but usually it is only one. When you get beyond one pet it limits your options. Also where multiple pets are allowed there is usually a higher pet deposit.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't know I couldn't have a pet in a subsidized apartment. :(
Affordable housing places (the ones done by lottery) typically allow pets. I know some of the new apartment buildings built downtown allow pets, even to the lower income residents who are lucky enough to get a unit through the housing lottery. I guess it's mandated by the state program, that all the amenities offered to residents who live in a market-rate unit are also available to the residents of the affordable units.

I'm not sure about other types of housing for lower income people. I've seen people in the projects with dogs but not sure if dogs and other pets are allowed or if residents just ignore the rules.