Safe Defrosting Gadget in development that looks promising!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So..... What's the difference in between this and putting the meat into a Ziploc Bag and into a container full of water? It's fancier, look pretty and costs more?

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to the information the benefit is that, if you have forgotten to take something out, you can thaw it quickly and safely. I didn't get the idea that is is designed specifically for people who raw feed animals. When mom comes home at 6pm and has a family to feed, they aren't going to want to wait a couple hours for that 2 pounds of hamburger to thaw, or that roast to thaw, you know? I would imagine they are thinking in terms of several pounds of meat, you know, for a human dinner, since the opening line reads:

Forgetting to take dinner out of the freezer is stressful. Using the sink to thaw wastes water and you should never us a microwave to thaw your food
And it's reusable , rather than going through a bunch of baggies. I don't use baggies to thaw, I use glass container, thawing overnight in the fridge :).

I can see one benefit not mentioned, no cats will be trying to get into the food while you are thawing it. :lol3:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aside from being reusable, which the freezing Ziploc bags (the stronger ones with the zippers) can be too, I see no difference. I think it works the same way, actually.
You can thaw food for a human dinner the same way as you would for a cat.
How do you think this device works differently?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see how some people would prefer to quick thaw their meat, or other food, in an enclosed reusable container for a few reasons.

It seems it would hold more than a baggie, enough food for a human family, (or if one was feeding dogs!) rather than a few ounces for the cats' dinner. Eliminate the annoyance of leakage. The water, according to the description, never touches the food. Those bags do leak on occasion. Whatever the food is wrapped in, is never put in the water. No exposure to air. No exposure to roaming pets.

My thawing needs are not large, so I would not be likely to need something like that. But for someone feeding a family, or raw feeding dogs or a large number of cats, I can see how it might appeal.

:)

PS Of course whether it really works or not would be another story! :D

Last edited: