Runtiest Runt

R@ch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! I’ve been fostering and adopting out babies from a Community Cat. I ended up keeping the first one because he has…well, a leaky butt. I can manage it but doubt anyone else would care to and I’m used to it at this point. He’s been poked and prodded by the vet so many times and they can’t find anything actually wrong with him. I’m to the point of letting him hopefully outgrow it. Anyway, he’s a runty runt, a very runty runt. He’s 10 months old and weighs less than 4 pounds. He looks like a kitten with a small cat face, lol
Problem is he is so skinny. The only food he doesn’t ooze out slowly…sorry…is Stella and Chewys Raw Rabbit (with mixed in pumpkin purée). Aside from bankrupting me, I don’t know that it provides enough fat because I can’t seem to get him fattened up.
I feel like there has to be a supplement that would give him calories but not cause abdominal inflammation..
Any suggestions??
He’s happy and plays but does seem more lethargic than my other kitties

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for helping this little one. Sounds like you might have one with a digestive issue causing malabsorbtion. I remember the Kitten Lady had a foster similar, here is her post about what worked for her situation. Of course, all cases are different and sounding similar doesn't mean it is the same. But if you are looking for ideas it might give you some to look into.

I do have some idea of your concerns too. My girl came to me malnutritioned at barely a pound. Her first two years were near constant vet visits for mysterious fevers and digestive of unknown origin. I did learn later that she does have Feline coronavirus so that could have been the cause (its common in cats and not a standard test). She, thankfully, stablized near her 2nd gotcha day and outside one or two things has been pretty healthy. Despite feeding her the highest fat and protein kitten food I could get my hands on she didn't seem to grow. By a year she was around 5.5 pounds, she did keep putting on weight and growing to her adult size of 7-7.5 pounds (she fluctuates). Shes free fed with unlimited access yet I can feel every bone petting her and during the summer she looks so skinny. In winter her coat poofs up giving her the illusion of padding. She's now almost 7 years old and at her annual exam with a different vet from her normal one three months ago the vet though she was a much younger cat. When 5 years old she was still getting mistaken for a kitten at the vet based on apperance (ER vet saw her and commented that when she grew up we'd have a better idea on something related to her health).. For me, I get her annual blood work and take her in if there are problems.

Here is my girl, this is a recent photo with her poofy winter coat. She's almost 7 years old...

20220104_190834.jpg

Last edited:

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Check if northwest naturals is sold near you. They have frozen and freeze dried rabbit at a much lower price than the Stella and chewy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

R@ch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping this little one. Sounds like you might have one with a digestive issue causing malabsorbtion. I remember the Kitten Lady had a foster similar, here is her post about what worked for her situation. Of course, all cases are different and sounding similar doesn't mean it is the same. But if you are looking for ideas it might give you some to look into.

I do have some idea of your concerns too. My girl came to me malnutritioned at barely a pound. Her first two years were near constant vet visits for mysterious fevers and digestive of unknown origin. I did learn later that she does have Feline coronavirus so that could have been the cause (its common in cats and not a standard test). She, thankfully, stablized near her 2nd gotcha day and outside one or two things has been pretty healthy. Despite feeding her the highest fat and protein kitten food I could get my hands on she didn't seem to grow. By a year she was around 5.5 pounds, she did keep putting on weight and growing to her adult size of 7-7.5 pounds (she fluctuates). Shes free fed with unlimited access yet I can feel every bone petting her and during the summer she looks so skinny. In winter her coat poofs up giving her the illusion of padding. She's now almost 7 years old and at her annual exam with a different vet from her normal one three months ago the vet though she was a much younger cat. When 5 years old she was still getting mistaken for a kitten at the vet based on apperance (ER vet saw her and commented that when she grew up we'd have a better idea on something related to her health).. For me, I get her annual blood work and take her in if there are problems.

Here is my girl, this is a recent photo with her poofy winter coat. She's almost 7 years old...

View attachment 408394
First, I’m so sorry for the delayed response! I’ve been elbows deep in a tnr project at my house, 7 so far!, and haven’t checked back.
Thank you so much for your response. Sometimes just hearing a successful case that’s similar Is enough to settle my concerns. I started giving him a very small amount of Tomlyn High Calorie Kitten Nutritional gel and it must be working because he’s been nonstop spunky!!! Tearing through the house and playing a lot more♥
Your sweet baby is so beautiful!!! Reminds me of a snowshoe I had many years ago, Itty Bitty Kitty. Itty Bitty passed at a much too young age of 2 and just broke my little heart. Vet figured she must’ve had a generic heart problem because she was fine one day and just passed away the next morning😞
I am so appreciative to have found this site and appreciate all you guys do to help up and our’ kids’

R@ch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Check if northwest naturals is sold near you. They have frozen and freeze dried rabbit at a much lower price than the Stella and chewy.
Ohhh, thank you for this!!!! The only other brand I’ve seen is Primal and VitalCat and I feel like I’ve not heard great things about either. Due to alternative popping issue, me, my furniture and carpet are all terrified to try much, lol

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Rabbit is really low fat, I'd suggest trying to introduce a new protein slowly to see if he'll eat it, and have something else on rotation with the rabbit :) Darwin's is also a great option for frozen raw, and they deliver. If you have the time and mental energy, there are also meat completers like EZComplete (just add to raw meat) or Alnutrin for meat and bone (add to meat, bone, and liver).

R@ch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rabbit is really low fat, I'd suggest trying to introduce a new protein slowly to see if he'll eat it, and have something else on rotation with the rabbit :) Darwin's is also a great option for frozen raw, and they deliver. If you have the time and mental energy, there are also meat completers like EZComplete (just add to raw meat) or Alnutrin for meat and bone (add to meat, bone, and liver).
Thank you!
I do have time and the only thing keeping me from making my own was the stress of getting the vitamins correct!!
I wonder if his poop problems are related to animal fat??? I say this because his poop seemed “fatty”? And literally nothing but the s&c rabbit helped…at all.

so much great info!!! thank you!!!