Runaway Cat (11 Times)

whirlwinds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In desperate need of some advice. I moved house 7 months ago. We moved 2 blocks away.
I have 3 male neutered cats.
Rusty (short haired ginger) has runaway 11 times in 7 months!
I’ve talked with my Vet endlessly and they have no more suggestions after trying everything!
Pls help!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Is he an indoor cat? Some outdoor cats have more of a tendency to wander than others. If he’s an indoor cat, it could be that he is anxious with the move and everything. Have you tried a Feliway diffuser?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whirlwinds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He’s an outdoor cat. He’s not an anxious cat. He’s the least anxious of our 3.
Yep tried feliway. No luck.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he’s an outdoor cat, what do you mean by running away? He doesn’t come home for the night? Do you know where he goes?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry your one cat keeps running away. Does he eventually come back home? Or do you have to go searching for him? Is he trying to find your old place? Also, is he neutered?

whirlwinds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He runs back to our old house which is 2 blocks away. We’ve kept him inside for 2 months at one point and still if he gets the chance to get out at night (by accident) the first place he goes is our old house

whirlwinds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He won’t come back freely. We literally spend hours trying to catch him!

whirlwinds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes he’s neutered

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you build a catio in the backyard so the cats have a safe place to explore and not be able to run back to the old house? There are ways to attach a catio to the house so the cats have free access.

Can you keep the cats strictly indoors only and be aware when entering and exiting doors to go outside so a cat doesn't sneak out?

whirlwinds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No not really. I rent unfortunately.
The trouble is with permanently keeping the cat indoors is, I like in a small one bedroom granny flat and have 2 other cats that need to be able to come and go as needed.
The cat in question has an ear piercing prominent meow. So if can’t get out, well you can imagine.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
In his mind, the new place simply isn't home.

After reading your thread, I don't see a solution for you at your new location, unless you try again as you did for those two months, and look into Macks earplugs - those are really quite good.

What are the people like at your old place? Would they be willing, and would you be willing, to let him live there?

Or, do you want to rehome him somewhere else entirely where they'd keep him inside all the time and be ok with his yowling and Macks?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, this is not a rare issue when people move in the same neighborhood and have an outdoor or indoor/outdoor cat, I've seen posts on it a handful of times. But I don't really recall a fix, other than keeping the cat inside, rehoming it or obtaining cooperation from the new people that live at the old house. Wish I/we could be more helpful, but I don't know we can.

If you do come up with a better idea, please update us so that we can help the next person in this situation better.

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess he's confused and still thinks of the old house as his territory. I don't think there's much you can do as of right now. Maybe he just needs more time to adjust. I would just keep an eye on him and try to get him home by night time.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also if you rent there may be other cats out there beating him up for being on their territory. It is part of the reason I only let my boys outside, during the day & in the backyard only. Our one semi-feral that comes in & out of the house all day & night drives me nuts. I keep hearing him fighting at 1 or 2 am and running downstairs to rescue/call him inside.
Like your case, the truth is it is a mess of the owners making (not my cat & they don't keep him in at night.) If you kept him in (and the other two) you would need to catify your apartment like no tomorrow with LOTS of shelves and trees. Also you would need to take him (and probably the other two) for long walks on a harness. Which is a lot to ask of just one owner! Which is why I'm not suggesting it. So the next best solution? I guess to catify your place and to keep them all in at night. It will take weeks/months of him yowling to go out before he gets it that you will not let him out at night. You could also try getting him chipped, just in case he gets lost. That way at least, someone will call you. Wet food (his favorite) when you get home everyday might be enough to entice him to come to you each night.

whirlwinds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
danteshuman - my partner uses Mack’s ear plugs and he can still hear him
No, their little toddler is allergic to cats.
But not willing to rehome him at all I was hoping there would be some advice that the vet hasn’t suggested but it seems I’m at a loss.
The only thing to do is continue to collect Home once he goes back there every time.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I even Googled to see if I could find a solution to his travelling back home, and nothing other than the options already mentioned.

How long does he stay there before you end up going to get him?