Resident Cat Behavior Chamge

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m probably overreacting bit here’s the situation... (long post)

I have a 13 yo male cat, Casey Neale, who lost his 2 companion kitties in June. Casey became very clingy and seemed lonely. He had never been alone going from his littermates to my house with a resident cat.

About 10 days ago I adopted a 12 week old kitten now named Dexter Jackson. Dex spent his first week in my laundry room to acclimatize. There was hissing for the first couple of days but nothing since. They sniffed each other by day 4 and seemed ok so I started letting them interact more.

During the day while I’m at work and over night Dex is now in a “kitten enclosure” that I built. It’s made from modular mesh metal shelving so it’s like a giant dog crate in my living room with his cat tree, food, water and litterbox. This allows Casey and Dex to interact but keeps them separate and safe as well. When I’m home Dex is loose.

Like any 12 week kitten Dexter is a bit crazy. He constantly pounces Casey... Casey is taking it well - occasionally giving Dex a smack when he gets too nuts (no claws). No hissing, no growling, no hiding... they’ve even slept beside each other on top of me for a few minutes.

So here’s the issue... Casey just seems off. He’s not as purry. He doesn’t want to cuddle with me much. He’s hyper aware of any noises Dex makes and constantly watches him. And last night he slept in the living room beside the kitten jail...

Am I just being overly concerned? The whole point in getting Dexter was for Casey to have a companion. I’m worried I made the wrong decision. It’s been a LONG time since I’ve had to introduce cats so maybe I’m expecting too much too soon?

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Cute kitties :) I'm not too sure that I understand what specifically you are worried about. As an outsider reading your description it sounds like Casey and Dex have hit it off and are getting along amazingly well. Casey might need a bit more time to fully adjust since from your description it seems like he is being vigilant and getting used to the idea of his new housemate, but sleeping together to me indicates they are definitely well on their way to making friends.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above reply. It sounds like they are getting along great. You are no longer the primal focus in Casey's life, he has his own kitten! So he has other things to distract him with. He is also more on his toes and aware of the new guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess my main concern is Dex bugs Casey incessantly. I can only manage to distract him for a minute or two. Casey is extremely easy going and Dex is already pushing him around. I’m worried that getting Dex might actually make Casey’s life worse :(

So how do I help Casey teach Dexter what is and isn’t allowed or do I just leave it alone? Casey was always “low man on the totem pole” but I don’t want his senior years to be torture

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Older cats tend to be very tolerant of kitten antics and allow them to get away with a lot of annoying behavior. However as the kitten grows up, the older cat will be more forceful in telling the, to stop. So I would just let time and Casey take care of the situation. If he gets annoyed enough he will let Casey know.