Rescued this orphan

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know all of the markings/terms by any stretch so I'll just say thanks for rescuing the little thing & it is a beautiful kitten

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here Im on deep water, but I wonder what is called a showshoe is in other associations called for white socked ragdoll.  Is so, yes, maybe...

Siamese look alike he is not, at least, no modern siamese,  they are slender, longmuzzled, big ears.

Beatiful friend you did got!

Good luck!

joanncatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fredfunk, that little darling looks like a snowshoe to me. What a doll. Both of you are lucky. May you share a lifetime of joy together. :)

Most Siamese I've seen since the 80s are the apple-headed variety rather than the original slender heads that I remember from the 60s and 70s.

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Modern Siamese that you see in cat shows are usually pretty extreme. (Breed Profile: Siamese) But many breeders still breed traditional Siamese cats. These cats are still slender, but they don't have the extreme wedge-shaped head; they are more notable for their coloring and their eyes (always blue). Originally, Siamese cats also often had crossed eyes and kinked tails, but modern breeders don't like those characteristics, for good reason since they are birth defects and really don't add anything to the cat's looks (and crossed eyes can give the cat double vision, anyhow).

If it were up to me, I would just split the Siamese breed into traditional and modern categories--same with the Persians, for that matter, who also have an extreme look of their own that not everybody likes.

There are a lot of traditional Siamese out there because breeders are breeding them as pets--and not just unscrupulous kitten mill type breeders, either, but really conscientious ones who like the traditional Siamese look and want to promote it and want people to be able to own Siamese as they used to look. They might not fit the Siamese breed standard, but they're still beautiful, and lots of people love them for that, even though they will never win a cat show unless they become an official breed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here Im on deep water, but I wonder what is called a showshoe is in other associations called for white socked ragdoll.  Is so, yes, maybe...

Siamese look alike he is not, at least, no modern siamese,  they are slender, longmuzzled, big ears.

Beatiful friend you did got!

Good luck!
I must admit my errata here.  I had looked up the Snowshoe somewhat.  And

Snowshoe isnt another name on Ragdoll with socks variation, it is another breed alltogheser, with its roots in siamese - old type, as the breed was created in the 60ties.  So although they are somewhat similiar, they are two different breeds.

So your question Fredfunk was correct, and the wording of "siamese snowshoe" although sounds peculiar, is entirely correct.

So, my guess at this moment, calling him a somewhat look alike of a snowshoe is surely possible and feasible.

But I have already proved myself on deep water in this question, so I dont say more here.   smile.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No matter what the proper terminology is for him, he is a handsome young kitten.  I would be happy to have him.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks a bit tired and bedraggled in the photo, though. But--well, he's a rescued orphan, what do you expect, right? A vet visit, lots of good food, a safe warm place to stay in... he'll perk right up.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Really beautiful pointed cat. His socks could also mean he is or is part Birman. They are rarer so he is probably either a ragdoll or a mix of pointed cats imo. 

joanncatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, no I didn't. Going now! 

*3 minutes later*

OK, I went but it says the website is under construction. Boo.   :(

*3 minutes later*  

Searched Tresor Siamese cats and found it. :D

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know what happened. I tried the link and got the same message. I am deleting the link now.  I can't edit the post, it has been up for too long.  So, you did the smart thing and googled it.
Aren't those some nice old pictures?