Refreezing frozen meat?

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know you are not supposed to thaw frozen meat or food and refreeze it unless you're going to do something with it, like thaw hamburger, cook it and then freeze the cooked meat - that's fine. But what about for our cats?

Can I buy frozen chicken breasts or thighs, thaw them out, grind them and make raw food with Feline Instincts or something similar, then refreeze once it's all mixed? I know you can't do that with meat for humans, but we cook it. What about for our cats?

My feeling is no, you can't thaw out raw meat and then refreeze it raw. But I want to make sure. What's the answer?

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, it's perfectly fine to thaw, portion up and refreeze for cats. l do it all the time.

Sometimes l buy fresh and freeze it for 5 days, thaw it to make cat food, divvy it up into meal sized portions then refreeze until time to use it. So buying it already frozen would be fine too.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Often times the meat we buy from the grocery store is frozen and thawed by the time I see it.  I still buy in bulk and refreeze.  This is meat I cook for myself.  For the cats, I buy in bulk and refreeze.  I thaw, grind, mix, and refreeze again when I make cat food.  Now, I don't thaw and refreeze nilly willy, that affects the flavor of the meat and I want my cats to like their food. But what you're proposing sounds totally reasonable.

The only thing I want to caution you about is to read the nutrient analysis label.  If the sodium says more than 100 grams, it's enhanced (injected with sodium water to increase weight) and not really good for your cats.  I mention this only because the frozen meats available to me in my grocery stores are always enhanced.