Recently spayed feral cat in heat?

kiwi11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About two months ago, a feral cat showed up in my yard with kittens. I got a rescue to take in the kittens and tame them to be adopted. I also trapped the mother cat (about three weeks ago) and had her spayed. I continue to feed this cat so she does come to my yard. The last two days, I have noticed her having signs of heat...the yowling, raised rear, etc. And, now the males are coming around.
Could she still have hormones raging because the spay was so recent? I have read about ovarian remnant syndrome and I am hoping it is not that. I cannot imagine ever being able to trap her again for another surgery- she is terrified of me now after the first trapping.
Questions:
1) Has anyone had a recently spayed cat show signs of heat maybe just one time soon after surgery?
1) If she has ovarian remnants, can she get pregnant again? I know spay means they take the uterus, but could she have a dangerous tubal pregnancy or something like that?
Thanks in advance for sharing any experiences you have had with your ferals!

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I were you, I'd call the clinic that spayed her and see if they will ask the vet about it.

I don't know how long it takes for hormones to subside after a cat is spayed... so it could be that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiwi11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I were you, I'd call the clinic that spayed her and see if they will ask the vet about it.

I don't know how long it takes for hormones to subside after a cat is spayed... so it could be that.
Thanks. I do plan on doing that, but the clinic doesn't reopen until next Wednesday due to the holiday.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot it's a holiday weekend. I've no experience with this... but what I find online suggests that if it is a remnant of ovary causing her to be in heat, it's not an emergency. And if her uterus was removed as well as the ovaries, I wouldn't think she could get pregnant. I understand why you'd be concerned, though, if this requires catching her again.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it is the hormones, it could be, but it seems suspicious. Definitely talk to whoever actually did the surgery on her. it would be horrible for her to continue heat cycles and mating but no kittens. She would come into heat all the time. As for not catching her again, don't be too worried. I've had cats go back into the trap the next day! I pray you won't have to worry about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiwi11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope it is the hormones, it could be, but it seems suspicious. Definitely talk to whoever actually did the surgery on her. it would be horrible for her to continue heat cycles and mating but no kittens. She would come into heat all the time. As for not catching her again, don't be too worried. I've had cats go back into the trap the next day! I pray you won't have to worry about it.
Thank you!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she does have ovarian remnant syndrome she will continue with heat cycles but will not get pregnant even if she allows a male to mate with her. The remnants of ovaries will continue producing estrogen. They can do some tests to see if she still is producing the hormones and if she is can do another surgery to get any remaining missed tissue.. good luck with everything. I recently had my cat spayed and with her cycle she was about to come in heat right around the time of her surgery thank God she didn't because I would have had to postpone her spay.. but she never went in heat afterwards.. This is just my experience with my little lady and how with the timeline her heat would have started any day around the time of her spay. And she never had symptoms of heat.. I do not know if it is possible to go into heat after spay for lingering hormones I can just give my experience with my baby.. I hope it is just that and not ORS.. But I'd definitely get in contact with the vet to make sure.