RC keeps pinning NC down

jnorris75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Morning all,

We were doing so well..... but I'm not sure what to make of this behaviour.

Willow 1 year old spayed female, RC but only by 3 weeks keeps pinning Olivia 1 year old newly spayed female NC down, and nipping her, Olivia cries, I make a loud noise and Willow gets off. We are slightly concerned because Olivia now has a lump on her back near her tail, to the left side, and when I spoke to my vet friend she said 'could Willow have bitten her?' as it could be an abscess. Looking at how they interact, its a possibility. They both chase one another, but Olivia is not at all agressive and will always back down. Even with us, Willow will scratch or nip us if she doesnt want to be stroked. Whereas Olivia is all about the strokes, slow blinks and calmness.

We did the introduction slowly, as suggested by many people, through the mesh door, and for a couple of weeks it seemed fine, we always monitored, there would be chasing at times, but no real agression. But now we have this situation, and every time they are together Willow pins Olivia down and Olivia cries.

I'm taking Olivia to the vet on Friday for her booster vaccines, and to get the lump checked out. But if it is an abscess from a bite/puncture wound, then what should I do?

Currently they are separate when I'm working, but they regularly both meow at the door seperating them, so lord knows.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks, Julie

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hows their play schedule with you? What type of play do you do with them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jnorris75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Olivia has a good play schedule, feather on a rod which we play with with her, and she carries around. As well as laser pen and ball, regularly throughout the day.
Willow is less interested in playing, she will chase the laser pen sometimes, but other times not interested.

Willow is just fully vaccinated so can go out now, she's been out this morning for an hour, chasing leaves and birds!

Do you think that Willow is bored? and acting out?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think Willow needs another outlet for her energy that isn't Olivia :) It's common behaviour when a cat has been play resistant with their people.

She might like different types of games. Like you wiggling a kicker toy. Its important, even if she is uninterested at first to keep at it! Keep a scheduled time to play with Willow too. Yhats step one, to schedule a daily time (either by time or by routine) and set 15 minutes aside and do not give up. Remember as cats age, watching is an important psrt of play too. Since Olivia is so play focused, as she joined the family more, she will need this playtime to have a closed door between them.

Next youll just try different movements. Mix it up! Flying, under a blanket, jumping slow crawl... at first you're going for any level of engagement.

I also attached two resources.

Attachments